Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just baught a brand new ZX3 S nothing too fancy. but Im looking to make it look cooler and run faster. Im having problems finding exterior Body mods for the 2006's and I was wondering if any one knew if there was a disqualifying feature of the new 06's that would stop me from sticking on an 00-04 front, side and rear body kit fiscas? I found some nice looking rear light fixtures for the 06 and the pricing is not too bad either.

Now on the performance side. I have a five year engine warranty which if I mess with the engine( ex. put a cold air in take on.) and after wards the car has a problem the dealer wont touch it under warranty I would have to pay. THey explaind this to me at the dealer. But the guy I talked to wasn't sure about something like a Catback exhaust system.

here soon I will be posting pics of my car when ever anyone comes up with something the shout out would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The 00-04 front end can be transplanted, but you need...

Hood
Headlights
Front Bumper
Foglights...if you have/want them

Easily the best first exterior mod is clear corners...for about $25 you can almost change the way it looks for very little money. At least this is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i think the taillights are the same, but the grill( i think) and the headlights and probably something else are different on the 05s that owuld not allow the 04s to fit.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
scorpio1118_2000 said:
Dont forget the fenders and the cat-back will void the warranty as the exhaust not really covered, and the cai should be ok as well just dont crack the motor open just yet.[thumb]
what the [:)][:)][:)][:)] are you talking about?

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
You'll only get stuck with paying for service if the part (IE CAI, Exhaust, etc.) caused the problem. If you blow your tranny they can't void your warranty bacause you have an intake. There are laws that protect you for that kinda stuff [;)].

On the 05 and above ZX3 you can fit anything that can fit on a 00-04 from the seats back. They used the same frame so if you have the money, you can convert the front end to 00-04 body style, but who whould wanna do that....lol?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I know the front bumper ios diffrent from a 04 to a 06 I just lost my 04 but got all the parts the back bumper is the only body part that fits the rest needs mods. The cosworth Cai from a 04 2.3 5 speed fits the 06 2.0 automatic just put it in works nice

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Trav-E2.0 said:
You'll only get stuck with paying for service if the part (IE CAI, Exhaust, etc.) caused the problem. If you blow your tranny they can't void your warranty bacause you have an intake. There are laws that protect you for that kinda stuff [;)].

\

except they can claim that you are "racing" with your car. trust me, they get away with it.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
There is a body kit made for 05+ Foci offered by F2 Performance.

We used to have a sticky thread at the top of this forum entitled "Duratec Parts and Products: New and Improved" but I don't know what happened to it. Anyway, there was a link to a list of parts and suppliers. The biggest worry about the Duratec motor is that you stick to the correct weight oil. The clearances around the crankshaft mains, rod journals, and cam journals are very tight, so a thin oil is needed. Thicker oil could cause damage over time- especially to the camshaft bearings, which are not a standard bearing but a smoothed out part of the head. Good oil will be essential to the survival of this motor.

I've always proposed using thicker oils, but I'm glad I didn't do that with this motor.

If you're worried about the warranty, then don't do anything to be on the safe side. If you're daring, or you don't care, then you can make a really fun daily driver out of this car with a flasher, CAI, and exhaust.

·
Registered
379 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot said:
There is a body kit made for 05+ Foci offered by F2 Performance.

We used to have a sticky thread at the top of this forum entitled "Duratec Parts and Products: New and Improved" but I don't know what happened to it. Anyway, there was a link to a list of parts and suppliers. The biggest worry about the Duratec motor is that you stick to the correct weight oil. The clearances around the crankshaft mains, rod journals, and cam journals are very tight, so a thin oil is needed. Thicker oil could cause damage over time- especially to the camshaft bearings, which are not a standard bearing but a smoothed out part of the head. Good oil will be essential to the survival of this motor.

I've always proposed using thicker oils, but I'm glad I didn't do that with this motor.

If you're worried about the warranty, then don't do anything to be on the safe side. If you're daring, or you don't care, then you can make a really fun daily driver out of this car with a flasher, CAI, and exhaust.
I use amsoil 0w-30 and the st loves it. its smoother, and revs quicker. Oh btw,if 0w-30 is so terrible then why does cosworth use it. Or do you know more than them?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
tungfumaster said:
I use amsoil 0w-30 and the st loves it. its smoother, and revs quicker. Oh btw,if 0w-30 is so terrible then why does cosworth use it. Or do you know more than them?
I never said I knew more than Cosworth, and I happen to be running the same oil in my car. Amsoil's 0w30 meets Ford's specs for the Duratec Focus as listed in the owner's manual. If an oil is a different weight but specifically lists that it meets a manufacturer's spec, it is ok.

I'm talking about 10w40, 10w30, 20w50. Ford's new clearances are- camshaft: .001-.003, rods: .001-.002, mains: .0007-.0013, all measurements in inches. Older motors had clearances at least double these. I have a friend who builds performance motors with clearances as tight as this, but he ran his for 24 hrs on an electric motor at 250 rpm before putting it in a car.

Screw you guys, I'm going home [target]

Oil viscosity link

·
Registered
176 Posts
The rear bumper, tail lights, and side skirts for 00-04 ZX3 will fit any 05-06 ZX3. The front fascia is different, though. You could pick up the FocusSport fiberglass front lip for the 05+ and match it up with a rear bumper and side skirts from earlier models. F2 also offers a full kit for 06 based on the RS here: http://f2cars.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=191

Bolt-ons shouldn't void your entire powertrain warranty but it's up to the tech/service manager at the dealership. It's not a bad idea to keep your stock parts, though, in case you do have a problem you can always slap them back on before you head to the dealership.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mastodon said:
The rear bumper, tail lights, and side skirts for 00-04 ZX3 will fit any 05-06 ZX3.
I beg to differ. The tail lights are different from 05' and up.

03' (hope you don't mind that I use a pic of your car, NeoStreet Racer)

06' (mine)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lil PZEV said:
Not on the hatches (and I believe wagons) - on the sedans they most certainly are different.
I should have read his post better. I do believe they are the same on the hatches. What can I say, I'm partial to the sedans. [:p]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok now I have anoughter question about exterior style. I found alot of carbonfiber and Chrome wings and light fixtures and an opinion question that I would like to ask does chrome or CF look better on a solver ZX3

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I'd say it depends on the piece. Chrome looks better on the silver than against like, a black or liquid grey focus, but sometimes I don't like it if it gets too "blingy". I'd get a CF wing/spoiler before I'd get a chromey one, but I'd paint a spoiler rather than the CF too (even though my hood's unpainted! hmm)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
they can claim all they want that u race your car but cant prove it. i mean i know a 60 year old women taht owns a 800hp supra and they never give here probllems and heres the funny thing she races the hell outta that car. she got the car from here grandson years back. she loves it. lik eit wwas said before they were just scaring you. if the problem didnt 100% directly cause the problem they have to fix it. its a law

1 - 20 of 24 Posts