Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Please Please give me some advice on replacing my sons 05 manual zx4 ST 2.3L alternator and whatever else I should consider changing since it appears I've got to move so much crap to get to it.

At 157k miles it's the original alternator and from testing it will not hold a constant charge above 13v when the car is running. With all the accessories on, the voltage keeps dropping below 12vdc until it triggers the battery light and the battery is good. My son said the car wanted to stall while pressing the brakes the night he noticed the battery light was on.

On any of my other vehicles, I can swap the alternator in 30-45 min., but on this car it's hard to figure out the best route to take to get it out and back in. Please advise the best way to get it replaced and whatever else I should consider (motor mounts etc.) while I'm at it.

thanks
jcs

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just had to do this on my 07 st. It is kind of a pain. You have to go from underneath. First move your coolant tank and power steering reservoir out of the way for easier access. Then remove front right wheel and wheel well liner. Remove the splash shield for the pulleys then you'll have access to the tensioner pulley and can remove the belt. There is one nut you have to remove on the alt from above and 2 from underneath. Once you remove those, from underneath, there is one nut holding on the plastic alt shield you have to move it a certain way to get at it. Be careful as there is still 2 plugs connected and it's fairly heavy. After you get the plastic thing off you can then undo the bolt on one plug and the other is just clipped on. After that it's a matter of turning it a certain way until it comes through. It's a pretty tight fit. Some people say to remove the dogbone mount to get more clearance but I managed without. And install is just reversing everything you just did. This would be a good time to replace your belt while you have it off.I think I covered everything, if not someone else should chime in. It took me about 3 hours in my driveway but I had no idea what I was doing and could probably be done in an hour and a half. Would be alot easier on a lift for sure. Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cwrob95,

From what I've read on this forum and your suggestion, it appears the best route is to take it out from the bottom. Some members mentioned taking it out through the top after removing the top passenger motor mount and exhaust manifold heat shield, but the majority seem to have removed it like you from the bottom.

I'm going try and find a good price on a Motorcraft alternator because I would hate to go thru this again if it's DOA or dies shortly after installation

BTW, if I need to remove the motor mounts, should I go ahead and replace them since they are the originals.

thanks
jcs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question, I'm seeing some alternators with or without PZEV and this car was not purchased in California. Do I need a PZEV ALT or not and if that's all available will it work on my car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on swapping out the alternator and the one I replaced was bad..

I completed the job this past weekend in 1.5 hrs by following the tips from forum and removing the ALT from the bottom. I did remove the lower rear motor mount bolt and it only took about a 1/4 to an 1/2 inch of extra space by rocking the motor to remove the ALT.

Thanks
JCS

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Good job JCS, and Congrats on your fix.

I have also replaced my 2.3 engine alternator, -and used the same method-> thru the bottom and also disconnecting the lower (dogbone) mount to get that extra inch of needed space to get the Alt out. Once the dogbone is disconnected, I had a second person "swing and hold" the engine away using a crowbar, while I finagled out the Alt

Side Note: I did not remove the right front wheel or wheel well liner as cwrob95 mentioned. Mine is not an ST model, but doubt that is an issue when talking about (2003-2007) 2.3 engine Alt replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts