Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my focus has been giving me some issues. I replaced my rear brakes a few weeks ago, drums pads and wheel cylinders. Everything was fine, until yesterday. I was driving into work and it felt like my rear end was swaying a little. When I got out of work I checked my tires and the left side was fine. But when I pushed on my right tire I noticed a little play in the drum. It only moves a fraction of an inch when I push at 12 o clock. I haven't had the time yet to remove the tire and make sure the spindle nut was tight. If the nut is tight is there anything else that would cause this. Also, I noticed my front left axle was leaking tranny fluid. Anyone have any advice to replacing the axle and axle seal?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Welcome to FF.

It does sound like the spindle nut is loose, but why would it be loose? Did you remove it to do the brake job?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no mechanic so I may have got the terms wrong. Its the nut that holds the drum on. I thought it was the spindle nut but could be the hub nut?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
When doing a drum brake job on the Focus, the drum and spindle come off as an assembly by removing the 4 bolts on the backside of the brake plate.

If you removed the spindle nut, it has to be torqued at 175 ft-lbs IIRC.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we have a little misunderstanding. I didn't replace the spindle. I replaced the drum, shoes, and cylinder. Like I said before my terminology could be off so I'm sorry for any confusion. I just googled it and I think the nut in taking about is called the retaining nut.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If you replaced the drum, check the torque on that nut.

Spec from book is 235 NM = 173.3 ft-lbs

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Very rare that it would loosen when driving if properly torqued. When it is torqued, spin the drum to help align the bearing as it settles into place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts