Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 ford focus zx5. I recently just replaced my wiring harness because it got fried some how they told me. My highbeams flash randomly, when this happens also my radio will jump in volume to high back down to what i had it at, also my car dies, loses all power to everything in it why all this is going on. mainly happens when i use radio and a/c at the same time... CAN ANYONE HELP!??!?!??!!!? even just an idea on what i might want to start working on to ease what is going on atleast. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
What part of the harness was replaced?
Was the replacement harness from Ford or was it made up?
Did you have the replacement done by a Ford dealer or some 'independent'?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well I highly doubt they replaced the "whole harness", that's a hell of a task and not cheap by any means ... not to mention pointless being you can do individual component testing through the scan tool to see if a connection is bad at that location, or where the bad spot is.

Besides all that, my best guess would be something amiss in the passenger fuse panel or in the steering column.
And I don't find any wiring for the volume on the radio and headlights that could be crossed, shorting or wrong. The volume change on the radio is probably associated with the Vehicle Speed Sensor, there is a wire on the back of the radio that goes to the ECU, the ECU sends info from the VSS so the radio can increase/decrease volume based on how fast the car is going. That is the only way I know of the volume can change W/O your input.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Well it is 'divide and conquer' time
If it was me, I would connect a voltmeter to the cigarette lighter [others can tell you how to turn your cluster into a volt reading display] and if the 12-13 volts goes crazy when you have your issues then it is perhaps alternator/battery issue
IF not then suspect the other part of the harness
Suspect a harness touching a hot/sharp spot
Mice/rats chewing on harness
Some loose connection that the mechanic forgot about

Actually you should bring it back to the dealership as you paid big bucks to get it replaced

1 - 5 of 5 Posts