Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, whoo!

So, onto the topic. I bought myself an 05' ZX4 ST and one of the first upgrades I was planning on doing is lowering it. After shopping around and looking at a few different sets of springs, I'm stuck between either TEIN S-Tech or Eibach sportlines... So I'm curious, what're your opinions? The TEIN's will save me roughly 50 bucks, but I'm also curious about exactly how much lower my ZX4 will be, so if anyone has had experience with either please feel free to let me know.

Here's a photo for reference! (sorry for the rain...)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Sportines are for chumps. You'll be too low to get back to OEM alignment and you'll eat through your tires in a few months.

Eibach pro-kit would be a smarter choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So throwing the little Extra bit of money into it really will go a long way? Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Sportines are for chumps. You'll be too low to get back to OEM alignment and you'll eat through your tires in a few months.

As far as the alignment goes, toe is the tire eater, not the camber. I'm running the sportline system w/ no issues. That replaced my ffrp's k/w setup I had before. The rear camber angle on my car is -1.6 degrees. No issues w/ tire wear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

As far as the alignment goes, toe is the tire eater, not the camber. I'm running the sportline system w/ no issues. That replaced my ffrp's k/w setup I had before. The rear camber angle on my car is -1.6 degrees. No issues w/ tire wear.
Regardless, as stock as my ZX4 ST is with a tiny bit over 90,000 miles, would it be a good idea to just slap springs on it?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Regardless, as stock as my ZX4 ST is with a tiny bit over 90,000 miles, would it be a good idea to just slap springs on it?
Add springs= add dampers. The eibach sportline system comes w/ springs & dampers that work great for a DD.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
You'll want to do springs + dampers/shocks. At 90k your stock shocks have seen better days and are probably due to be replaced any ways. Adding a stiffer/shorter spring will make the oem shocks (that are designed for a specific ride height/spring/dampening) to wear out prematurely.

If you are going to spend money, invest in a setup that will last and is proven to work with the springs/shocks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll want to do springs + dampers/shocks. At 90k your stock shocks have seen better days and are probably due to be replaced any ways. Adding a stiffer/shorter spring will make the oem shocks (that are designed for a specific ride height/spring/dampening) to wear out prematurely.

If you are going to spend money, invest in a setup that will last and is proven to work with the springs/shocks.
Thanks again for all of the feedback everybody. Do you recommend buying this kit from anywhere specific? Trying to save myself as much as I can and not put too much into the Car quite yet, in a bit of a tight spot with money but... You know, necessities [^]

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The SVT suspension should bolt right on. It won't be as low as the Eibach kit, but probably more tolerable for a DD, and cheaper too. I had an SVT suspension and a 24mm rear anti-sway bar on my '05ST, and it was perfect for a DD on our c*#**y Maine roads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The SVT suspension should bolt right on. It won't be as low as the Eibach kit, but probably more tolerable for a DD, and cheaper too. I had an SVT suspension and a 24mm rear anti-sway bar on my '05ST, and it was perfect for a DD on our c*#**y Maine roads.
SVT suspension you say? I was unsure if that was an option or not, would anyone like to clarify this, and approximately how much lower would i be riding?

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
SVT suspension is about a half inch lower than stock and will cost about half of what you'd spend to do the Eibach kit. I beleive I am correct in thinking that the SVT suspension is stiffer at a constant rate while the sport lines are a bit softer at a progressive rate.

If you're simply looking to get low, the Sportlines will be fine. Not what I would do, but Eibach makes a quality product either way.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd at least drop your foci a 1.5'' w/ the frpp's kit. Pass on the svt springs & throw on dampers at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts