Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I know we have all heard about people wanting to convert fwd or rwd to awd and how its stupid expensive and all that. but couldn't you take the parts off a fw focused awd car, and use that transmission, transfer case, drive shaft, ect. and make a fwd car awd without turning the engine? The new RS has a transversely mounted awd engine, why cant an older car? Wouldn't this be cheaper and easier? (i mean this relatively, i am aware this is still a pain and super pricey)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So i found out the mazda 6 has AWD and the same engine as the 05 st. Im wondering, if i made room for the transfer case, would things like the k frame, transaxle, transfer case, and a few other small things bolt on? from what I can tell they are the same in the chassis and engine area and only really differ in the body. That would make and AWD on these cars cost like, 2k and a headache for about 10 hours as best I can tell

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Why not just get a Mazda speed 6 to start with? 274hp awd........done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
because I got this car because i want to build it. I am brand new to modding and I wanna make my car just the way i like it. That and there are no mazdas where I live, not any good ones anyway. But I can order the transfer, subframe, ect online

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
because I got this car because i want to build it. I am brand new to modding and I wanna make my car just the way i like it. That and there are no mazdas where I live, not any good ones anyway. But I can order the transfer, subframe, ect online
Have at it then........

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you want to hotrod it, you already have a good platform.
Just boost it and rip away.

But, if you're so inclined to actually build an awd out of your focus, you could always buy an escape awd, swap it all over, or, cut the body off of each and drop your focus body onto the escape platform.

The wheel base might be something you'd have to massage a little if you did the body swap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts