Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welp I'm back again with another mystery. I let a family member use my car for 2 days while I rotated the tires on their car and changed the oil and I get my car back and now there's so many problems..

This time, my poor ZX4 developed this god awful front end sound. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger front wheel. It's like a rubbing squealing sound that raises in pitch the faster I go, it's really bad at low speed. In fact I think I can feel like something is rubbing. After driving normal and highway speeds the sound goes away completely and the rubbing doesn't seem to be there anymore. Everything is smooth.

I've included a small video clip of the sound and how irritating it is;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WW5f_s6v4XO2ZNl0GgjrozGaJ4EC1N85

I'm thinking it could be the brakes. Perhaps a stuck caliper? I cant tell if the caliper is stuck but the rotors are badly scored... I really don't understand how this happens after letting a family member use my car for 2 days...

Recently, I checked my brake fluid and there was none after I realized the pedal now goes to the floor. Meaning not only is this car going to need new brakes and rotos but possibly a new brake master cylinder too!? Topped fluid off, and intermittent brake pedal working yet not working meaning there is air in the system.

I'm kinda at a loss right now... I'll try bleeding the brakes to get the air out and see if the pedal becomes firm again.. other wise my daily is out of commission for a while til I can afford to get everything fixed. I'm not driving it with no brakes.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Brake fluid doesn't just get consumed so chances are that you have a leak somewhere. My daughter's '03 had a brake line leak so I had to replace a 10' section of line plus both the lines feeding the two rear brakes and the bleed screws on the wheel cylinders were way gone so had to swap them out as well. That was a pain because the bolts holding the cylinders on had to be cut out. I used Nicop line as it is much more corrosion resistant and also easy to work with.

Since you topped off your brake fluid, just park on a dry spot and look for signs of leakage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your brake fluid is gone, you have a leak somewhere, or possibly you lost a brake pad. The last thing I would suspect is the master cylinder, but you'd better inspect the whole system.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After inspecting it myself, I saw the rear passenger drum had a leak, I'm not sure where it's leaking from. Perhaps the bolt on point that puts the line into the back of the drum..

I undid the line and started with that side to begin the process of bleeding the brake lines. Afterwards I tightened everything up. I didn't see any noticeable leak but I think it still does have a leak. The pedal now feels very good and the brakes are responsive. I test drove it rigorously.

The squeaking, creaking or whatever that is is still there but goes away, I notice on any right turn going maybe around 20 or less MPH it makes a sound... Ball joints maybe?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,312 Posts
As mentioned above^^^ possible wheel cylinder leaking....Also check your end-links.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you check the rear wheel cylinder(s) for leaks?
I did, Unfortunately I don't have the proper tools to take the cover off of the drum so I'm not sure if it's leaking from there. However I'm still monitoring that one specifically for leaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts