Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife said that her 05 Focus ZX4, with 112,000 miles, had gotten louder this week and since it has been in the mid-upper 90s with heat indexs of 110-120 I never got a chance to look at the car until tonight. I found out that the flex pipe is leaking, the problem is that I have looked at a couple of online parts suppliers and I can't seem to find a flex pipe for an 05.

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can get the flex pipe?
2. How hard it the flex to replace in my 05? The little bit of time that I spent under the car it looked like a PITA.
3. Couldn't I just cut out the pipe and get a flex pipe from a earlier Focus, then band clamp it into place? About a 20 min and $50 project
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
For what it's worth, I tried looking at doing the same thing on my 2000 ZX3, there just wasn't enough space on the exhaust to do it. If you look on ebay you should be able to find one, just double check with the seller and if they have a pic I printed mine out and compared to the pipe on the car. There are also mountings that you want to look at that support the pipe, on mine it bolted to the engine where it met the pipe from the cat, then there was also an exhaust hanger right after where it bolted up to the pipe going to the rear end of the car. A dremel tool and torch are essential, some of the hardware just does not want to come off. It can take some time, but you want to replace the whole piece if possible.

·
Registered
520 Posts
you cut the flex off replace it with a new flex from carquest. Refabricate it in. it will require a welder and droping the exhaust to weld the top side. So gaskets would be involved. Still cheaper than a cat. I do stuff like this all the time. To make life easier I usually buy my flexes 1 pipe size larger and put it over the existing pipe and weld up the gap.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't these cars have an intermediate pipe between the pipe from the catalytic converter and the rear exhaust pipe? Isn't that what the flex pipe is in? I looked in my repair manual and he should be able to just unbolt the intermediate pipe and remove and replace it with a new one. When my ZX3 had a bad flex pipe I just replaced that section, at the flanges. The only cutting I had to to was the nuts on the studs and bolts that had been on the car for the last decade.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ya but if you have a welder the flex in only like $30.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks of the replys! We were camping this weekend and a friend of mine that was with is a ASE cert mechanic and used to work at a Ford dealership. After I told him what was going on, he said the best thing would be to unbolt it/cut it out and then either weld in a new flex or buy a whole new pipe, then install that. I told him what my idea was, to cut out the flex and band clamp a new one in place. He said that would work also, it wouldn't look as good or like it was as professional of a job, but would definitely work. So I think I am going to give my idea a try, the worst thing that can happen is that I take it to the shop my friend works at and have him do it the right way[:)]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You could always purchase a header if you don't have to pass emissions where you live. You'd need a new exhaust system though, and I recommend either ear plugs or piecing together the system with resonators in every inch of pipe that is straight. You should be able to get one after the 2nd cat, and maybe one after the muffler. These engines are loud when opened up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You could always purchase a header if you don't have to pass emissions where you live. You'd need a new exhaust system though, and I recommend either ear plugs or piecing together the system with resonators in every inch of pipe that is straight. You should be able to get one after the 2nd cat, and maybe one after the muffler. These engines are loud when opened up.
I thought we were going for a cheap fix here for the wifey.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called the shop my buddy works at just to see how much they would want to replace the flex pipe. I talked with the owner and after a few phone calls he said that after calling a couple of his parts suppliers he got the same answer from them, the flex pipe is a dealer only piece. It just happen to be that yesterday I had my truck at the dealership for a recall, so when I picked the truck up I stopped at the parts counter to get a price. I almost fell over when the parts guy told me, $1146!! You cant get just the flex pipe, you have to get the exhaust manifold and everything. The parts manager happen to be at the counter at this time also and he suggested calling a couple of the local exhaust shops, I had already call one of them they quoted $250-350. Damn this is a pricey little piece!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
^^^ I was offering a cheaper alternative [neener]

No seriously, I didn't think it would be that expensive. You might want to look into some online offerings. I found a great deal on a V6 combined cat and exhaust section for my wife's van at something like discount catalytic converters.com. I can't remember the exact name of the place. I'd check our friends at RockAuto as well.

It seems like hitting your buddy up for a welding job is going to be the best route.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can go to Carquest and buy a flex pipe. If you can't paypay me the $$ and I'll ship you one. I do your idea all the time. Rebuilding a pipe for $200-$300 is a lot better than $1146 for parts only.

the exhaust shop price sounds about right for a shop. 2 hrs labor and $50-$75 list for the part plus gaskets

·
Registered
520 Posts
you cut out the old flex with a cutting instrument and then weld in a new flex pipe. Basically you rebuild the pipe. The pipe it's self is stainless and changing it is a sin in my book. Pipe will never rot so why change it out to a non stainless part.

Fabrication is required cut and weld basic exhaust shop 101

1 - 15 of 15 Posts