Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quoted below is a post made by SkaAddict. It list parts needed to do a rear disk conversion. Is this the required parts to convert a 2005 Focus ZX3 with drum bakes?
I ask cause these parts was listed out for conversion of the read of a different car in its original thread.

There are a crazy amount of threads on this conversion.
If these are the parts needed off a salvaged AdvanceTrac/SVT/ST, on to which year/model focus will these go into besides my 05 ZX3?

You need the following parts off of an AdvanceTrac/SVT/ST:

Rear spindles
Rear calipers
Rear caliper mounting brackets
Rear brake lines
Rear disc e-brake cables (replaces back 1/3rd of the line from the back of the exhaust tunnel to the wheels)
Rear rotors & pads
Rear disc shields (technically optional...the rears will install without them.)

You either need to find a junked model as described above, or order the SVT brake kit from Ford Racing. Getting the SVT/ST parts new from the dealer is more expensive than the FRPP SVT brake kit, which will give you the 300mm front rotors off the SVT.

I got a salvaged set of rear disc from Focus Salvage before he threw in the towel, it took me about four hours from start to finish with access to a full shop and a hydraulic lift.
Also, I have read that most the braking power is in the front, is there anything that can be done to even out the load?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
List does miss a little bit, like hubs/bearings/nut/cap.

Should work for any with compatible suspension, '00-'11 for the Focus.

You can't do anything to change the physics of weight shift under braking short of loading the rear enough to compensate. Load an extra ton on the rear and weight shift to the front would be dramatically reduced.

Loaded Trucks/Trains are the only types of vehicles where weight shift under braking isn't an important consideration.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I read all the threads on rear brake conversion and ultimately decided not to do it. Brake bias is a safety concern that I leave to the engineers. If you go with the SVT parts for your conversion, convert the front and rear to SVT. If you want to stay with stock 15" rims, do the ST conversion. Alas, those parts are not easy to find in salvage.

Toby

·
Registered
202 Posts
The rear drum brakes on the Focus are okay; as everyone has pointed out, the main focus is on the front brakes. Rear drum brake conversion to disc has not proven to be a great benefit to most people. The main reason that I converted my daily driver is because of the issue of the self adjusters; didn't always work as designed... sometimes they would adjust one side and not the other...and I'd have to manually reset them.

I've owned or driven three MK1 Focus's; two with drum rears... my 00 SE sedan with 2.0 sohc has never had a problem with the drum brake self adjusters, I just inspect and clean them on a regular basis and they have worked fine. But my 04 ZX3, has been nothing but trouble with the rears, so I finally did the conversion. The wagon had 4 wheel discs w/advance trac, so no need to do anything there....

I would suggest inspection of the rear brakes once a year and cleaning of the dust... this can cause the self adjusters to hang up and get stuck. (Don't forget to replace the spindle nut after the fourth time its taken off and to retorque the nut to specs) A conversion to SVT front brakes or the ST sedan front brakes would provide the most benefit to you and reduce the chances of the front brake rotors suffering from excessive runout or warping (causes pulsation of the brake pedal in moderate to hard stops, though in extreme cases it can become noticable even in a gentle stop).

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Atm with my front brakes, when I apply pressure to the pedal, I get a mean shake of the wheel. I had them spun last time I had a shop perform service to the brakes but its back. Ill have the rotors spun again but if I keep getting this shake I probably will switch them out as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It sounds like you have got excessive runout on the front rotors; this is common while I drive in San Francisco area where its hilly. If you have an 05 you already have larger rotors than my earlier models; short of changing over to SVT front brakes or 05-07 ST fronts, your only other option is to replace the front rotors with HIGH CARBON content rotors, which resist heat build up and excessive run out. The Bosch rotors have high carbon content as do the Advanced Technology rotors from Raybestos and the Centric High Carbon Alloy any of these rotors would be a good choice as a replacement rotor. Turning rotors is a dying art; rotors are so thin these days and rotors being made overseas (mainly) that is doesn't pay to machine them any more. Also, labor costs have risen to the point that turning rotors runs anywhere from $20 each to $50 each here in the San Francisco area where I'm at.

My vehicles have had the conversion to the SVT fronts because of the run out issue caused by driving around the San Francisco area. My DD used to warp rotors every 10K with standard replacement rotors, Centric Premium, Raybestos Professional Grade, etc.... Since doing the upgrades, the front rotors have suffered only from normal wear and tear and no vibration feed back due to excessive run out.

Using either organic or ceramic brake pads will also help keep the rotors in shape; though, I cannot recommend the usage of either organic or semi or or full metalic pads. Semi metalic pads are a bit of bargain these days and stop just fine especially for a daily driver, but can be somewhat noisy and hard on rotors.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It sounds like you have got excessive runout on the front rotors; this is common while I drive in San Francisco area where its hilly. If you have an 05 you already have larger rotors than my earlier models; short of changing over to SVT front brakes or 05-07 ST fronts, your only other option is to replace the front rotors with HIGH CARBON content rotors, which resist heat build up and excessive run out. The Bosch rotors have high carbon content as do the Advanced Technology rotors from Raybestos and the Centric High Carbon Alloy any of these rotors would be a good choice as a replacement rotor. Turning rotors is a dying art; rotors are so thin these days and rotors being made overseas (mainly) that is doesn't pay to machine them any more. Also, labor costs have risen to the point that turning rotors runs anywhere from $20 each to $50 each here in the San Francisco area where I'm at.

My vehicles have had the conversion to the SVT fronts because of the run out issue caused by driving around the San Francisco area. My DD used to warp rotors every 10K with standard replacement rotors, Centric Premium, Raybestos Professional Grade, etc.... Since doing the upgrades, the front rotors have suffered only from normal wear and tear and no vibration feed back due to excessive run out.

Using either organic or ceramic brake pads will also help keep the rotors in shape; though, I cannot recommend the usage of either organic or semi or or full metalic pads. Semi metalic pads are a bit of bargain these days and stop just fine especially for a daily driver, but can be somewhat noisy and hard on rotors.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^ As said a great 1st upgrade would be svt front brake kit. Bigger 300mm rotors & bigger calipers.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't even THINK about having rotors turned twice, even the first time likely pushes the limits for thickness.

A cheap replacement is usually better than a minimum thickness turned one, and a good replacement doesn't cost much more.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SVT front has the larger calipers and rotors?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yes Humphrey, SVT fronts are quite a bit larger.

15" stock wheels won't fit over them, need 16" stock minimum. A FEW aftermarket 15" wheels will fit.

BTW - for those wondering about using discs in back with stock fronts - The "Rally Kit" was the '05 up fronts paired with SVT rears so stock 15" wheels would fit.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I wanted to get better looking rims anyways..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Felix got it

Ford Racing Performance Parts, choice of SVT or Rally versions for upgrade of the MkI models.

Front brakes in the Rally kit being the same as '05 & up production versions.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How come the people that do say it, say that svt brakes provide a better stop than my original ones? I've only had to stop in an emergency once and I locked those babies down for a stretching stop.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
How come the people that do say it, say that svt brakes provide a better stop than my original ones? I've only had to stop in an emergency once and I locked those babies down for a stretching stop.
The 1st stopping is tire related, after that then the brakes= calipers & diameter of the rotors. You having a '05= have 10.9'' rotors w/ slighty bigger calipers & the svt uses 11.8'' rotors & bigger calipers (caliper piston). Tires for 1 or 2 stops & then desent pads/rotors & after that is the calipers & rotors size & design.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So in the below post..
I have a ST rear set $200 take every thing you need to do the conversion.
Are these the same as the ones on a svt? Probably get these and keep looking if so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts