Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had problems starting my 2005 focus 2.0 duratec this winter. when the motor is cold I have to keep flicking the key on and off like im squirting fuel into it. this will take a couple trys and then it will start and I have to try to keep it running. once it is started the car runs great... does anyone else have this problem? or better yet does anyone know whats wrong with my car??

it has the 2.0 duratec with a 5 speed and 155,000 miles...also when its in my heated barn or in warm weather it starts no problem. thanks for the help!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
When was the last time the plugs were changed?
Fuel filter?
Air filter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed the fuel filter and the air filter is one of those that you don't change.. Not sure how the plugs are I could check those

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Try turning the key to on, wait 4-5 seconds, then crank it.

that will let the fuel pump prime the injector rail with pressure, it may be losing fuel pressure at the injectors as it sits overnight

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have an '05 with 180,500 miles, and I no longer have trouble with starting. The plugs are gapped to .055, the battery is six months old, the fuel filter is clear, and I let the car finish beeping before I crank it. I'm used to starting locomotives in the morning, which is a ten or fifteen minute process. Have your battery tested and check the plugs for age and gap. Also, we moved to a colder climate this winter and the car fires right up in the morning, even when it's been below zero overnight. It's parked outside all the time.

Toby

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed the plugs and 2 of the plugs were dry and the other 2 were really wet.. I changed to new ones an it seems to start a little better but still has a long crank and I have to flick the key on and off

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Need more description on those plugs B4 anyone can give a good guess on that part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm going to see how it starts tomorrow morning. If it gives me a problem what would you like to know about the plugs?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Well, was trying not to suggest anything without more info..

Insulator tip color? Wet/dry there? Oily or fuel? Porcelains Wet/Dry/Dirty/Oily/Coolant?

Multiple possibilities come to mind that could help diagnose issues, Plugs are a window into conditions in the combustion chamber & there are problems that can occur on the outside as well. Too many just to start throwing out guesses.

Luck!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well I'm going to see how it starts tomorrow morning. If it gives me a problem what would you like to know about the plugs?
Just take a pic of the combustion chamber side of them and post it, with good lighting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had problems starting my 2005 focus 2.0 duratec this winter. when the motor is cold I have to keep flicking the key on and off like im squirting fuel into it. this will take a couple trys and then it will start and I have to try to keep it running. once it is started the car runs great... does anyone else have this problem? or better yet does anyone know whats wrong with my car??

it has the 2.0 duratec with a 5 speed and 155,000 miles...also when its in my heated barn or in warm weather it starts no problem. thanks for the help!
My 2001 ZX3 with 40,000 on it would not start below freezing. It would start at above freezing and run fine.
Turned out it was my coil.

Installed a new one, starts and runs fine now at so freezing temps.

Thermal shrinkage of the plastic and epoxy mass at freezing causes a wire to open or electronic component to lift off the pc board buried inside the epoxy sealed unit. There are a bunch of things inside the coil besides coils!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts