Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You mean remove the wire screen filter that Ford installed in place of something to hold a paper cabin filter?

I'm so freaking lazy, I haven't even checked at the junkyard to see if the earlier Foci cabin air filter housings can be installed in an 05+.

As it is stock, there is no filter, and nowhere to put a filter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i should probably start a new post, but an old filter holder works.

i picked up mine for 10 bucks at the wreckers yesterday. the only problem is getting the old screen and plastic thing off. mine was held on with some thick foamy stuff. i had to shove a small hammer in there and pry it off, then scrape as much of the leftover material off. from there you just stick the new holder in over the bolts/studs and screw her down.

i am a little afraid of the water problems that revolve around the housing, so i might take it all back out and clean up the surface better and caulk the new housing in with silicone or something.

also, keep the nuts from the new unit or the old, cause i had already lost a nut from the original unit and didn't think of getting the nuts from the wreckers. now i've only got one nut .[paranoid]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Thanks for the info Flinkly, I figured it would work, but I just hadn't gotten around to doing it.

The nuts are a simple #6 push on nut, so you should be able to find those. ACE has a better selection of single nuts and assorted things than HD or Lowes, but really any hardware store should have something that will work. It might require a washer though.

I will find out when I do mine, but I think that "Foam" stuff is a polyurethane foam and will dissolve with the proper agent. This will probably also dissolve the paint. Body repair people can help us in this category. For sealing the hole again, pay close attention to the temperature range of your silicon, and caulk would definately not be a good idea. A urethane or polyurethane sealer would be best. If you're afraid that you might want to remove it again some day, there are various types of weatherstrip available at hardware stores with or without adhesive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts