Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have put 75,000 miles on my 2005 ZX3. I have heard a squealing sound when I apply the brakes (moreso when it's cold or wet out) since I bought the car. Ford told me there was nothing wrong and to not worry, so I didn't.

In any case, at 75K miles, I figured the pads were probably worn down pretty good, so I checked them out. There is still a good quarter inch to half inch of pads left... Is this normal? Also, the rotors are cut into pretty bad... on the rotor rotor, there is one big groove about a quarter inch down from the outer edge, and on the left rotor, there are several grooves.

I already bought new rotors, but I am now wondering what type of pads I should get... semi-metallic or ceramic? I asked the local Ford parts guy, and he told me he doesn't know what Ford makes their pads out of. I am guessing ceramic... is this right??

Also, is this wear on the rotors normal? Is there anything I can do?? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jared

·
Registered
383 Posts
Focus brakes are very soft to begin with. Most of the time, if you need brake pads, you'll need rotors too. I work at a dealership and see my fair share of Focus brake jobs.

I can't say I know what they're made of, but I do know that when they run out, it's best to go with performance aftermarket, they'll probably last longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. So would you recommend ceramic or semi-metallic aftermarket? Is there any issue with having one type on the front and a different type on the back?

Jared

·
Registered
383 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't know which to recommend for brake pads. I think ceramic are a bit extreme for day-to-day driving, semi-metallic would probably be best, though you would have some normal brake squeal.

Having different brake pads wouldn't be a big deal, I don't think, considering you have drums on the rear anyway and the majority of your braking power is in the front brakes on all cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts