Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have a 2005 Ford focus ZX3, 2.0 U.S Model with 121k on it. Runs good but I hear the tickingish noise coming from the intake manifold and I read that this was a common problem.

I'm actually planning on going on a 6 and a half hour road trip in about a week or maybe two so I'm trying to get the intake manifold problem fixed before I head out.

Honestly I don't have the extra money to buy a new air intake manifold so what is the cheapest/easiest way to fix the tumble flap problem that I could do to get on the road.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,197 Posts
You can search google and find all the threads. You remove the intake, remove the flaps and the actuator rod and then epoxy the holes where the rod goes through. May as well replace your thermostat and pcv valve and hose at the same time since they are underneath the intake manifold. Thermostat without the sensor is what you need $30 from O'Reilly's. Pcv hose and valve are inexpensive as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
@PapaVivec I don't believe the tickingish noise you're hearing from the intake manifold will cause you to have problems on your long trip. What you're hearing is a well known issue associated with the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC). There is lots of info. on Google and Youtube regarding it's function and purpose.

The bottom line is the ticking you hear shouldn't be problematic for your trip. Mine has been ticking for dozens of thousands of miles without problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I would hope so. I already taken the intake manifold off and there was oil in the bottom of the intake manifold. Is that normal and what could be causing it? Thanks

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,197 Posts
bereta96 reminded me of another bandaid. I believe you can remove the imrc activator from the intake and hang it out of the way with a zip tie. You leave it plugged in. Then you open the flaps and zip tie in that position. Oil in the intake is normal and it comes from the crankcase ventilation system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts