Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday after driving the car to grab oil and other general maintenance items I stopped at my parents house to replace said items. I had turned the car off to setup ramps and when I went to turn the car back on the start would click once and then stop, no interior lights, headlights wouldn't come on, no power at all. Went ahead and assumed the battery was dead so we hooked up a charger which said the battery was roughly at 80% and sitting at 13 volts. After letting it charge to 100% which took just a few minutes we tried again, the radio immediately came on and all the presets had been reset, turned off the radio and tried to crank the car and again one click from the starter and then everything goes black.
Within the past 2 years or so the noise cancellation fusable link (not entirely sure of the name) that goes between the alternator and radio was replaced because it melted, could this again be the issue?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Radio interference capacitor would have nothing to do with not cranking & the symptoms that went with that.

Very bad battery terminal/cable connections can do this, and the battery itself is a prime suspect.

Battery needs a load test as well as going over the connections. You can get the battery pulled out & checked & that gives a start for the terminals/connection checks at the same time.

Can't bet either way without checking it out.

P.S. - Welcome to FF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Radio interference capacitor would have nothing to do with not cranking & the symptoms that went with that.

Very bad battery terminal/cable connections can do this, and the battery itself is a prime suspect.

Battery needs a load test as well as going over the connections. You can get the battery pulled out & checked & that gives a start for the terminals/connection checks at the same time.

Can't bet either way without checking it out.

P.S. - Welcome to FF
Thanks for the quick response, this battery also is only 2 years old I believe, not stating that the battery can't be bad however what would cause a battery to go bad that quickly? I thought it was odd that it charged from 80% to 100% in maybe 10 minutes, and then the fact that once you try to crank it discharges 20% and nothing else will come on. Also thank you for the welcome and quick response.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
2 yrs. would be an unusually short lifespan, but internal faults can develop without prev. symptoms to cause a battery problem. Most common with old ones.

Battery terminals alone can cause your symptoms, might seem tight but corrosion in the connection can make for a very bad one that quits as soon as there is appreciable current passing through.

Removal & cleaning is the only check that works for sure. (brush to a bright finish)

Greasing the connections once the problem is solved helps prevent the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 yrs. would be an unusually short lifespan, but internal faults can develop without prev. symptoms to cause a battery problem. Most common with old ones.

Battery terminals alone can cause your symptoms, might seem tight but corrosion in the connection can make for a very bad one that quits as soon as there is appreciable current passing through.

Removal & cleaning is the only check that works for sure. (brush to a bright finish)

Greasing the connections once the problem is solved helps prevent the issue.
The terminals were cleaned recently, past few months and battery grease was put on it to make sure they wouldn't corrode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts