Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced both shocks, both anti sway bar link. I am still getting this noisy rattling. Simple bump or simple uneven road will produce this rattling. I also checked the heat shields underneath. What else could be? And I think my focus is lower than what I see on YT videos. Any idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Have you checked the exhaust system to see if it is bouncing against anything underneath? Try shaking it at the tailpipe.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the exhaust system to see if it is bouncing against anything underneath? Try shaking it at the tailpipe.

Good luck
Paul
I did check the muffler and the pipes, and they are well tied.

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
The inside plastic cover of the tailgate can do it, mine drove me crazy for years until I figured out what it was. The cover vibrates against the metal ribbing underneath it. A looser tailgate latch with the plastic bushing worn to fall apart off the bottom post adds to it. Mine got old enough to begin to rattle at idle even when the pass side engine mount went bad and I was able to then trace the noise down. Put a hand on the middle of the cover while inducing it to make the noise and the hand stops it. Cured by removing the cover and adding some foam to the ribbing as damper/sound deadener.

You'll swear that noise is coming from underneath the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The inside plastic cover of the tailgate can do it, mine drove me crazy for years until I figured out what it was. The cover vibrates against the metal ribbing underneath it. A looser tailgate latch with the plastic bushing worn to fall apart off the bottom post adds to it. Mine got old enough to begin to rattle at idle even when the pass side engine mount went bad and I was able to then trace the noise down. Put a hand on the middle of the cover while inducing it to make the noise and the hand stops it. Cured by removing the cover and adding some foam to the ribbing as damper/sound deadener.

You'll swear that noise is coming from underneath the car.
I did remove the whole plastic cover for the tailgate, and still the clunking or the rattling noise is there. I think the housing bulb to the taillight is the problem, because the breaking light bulb spot or housing was burnt and I put some glue ( I don't remember well)...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure about the rattling, but your focus is definitely sitting lower in the rear than mine. You may want to double-check the spring length when unloaded. Has it always sat so low?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts