Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
05 ST Rear Wheel Bearing Change: - bolts (fixed now, thanks!)

I am doing a rear wheel bearing change on my 05 Focus ST. To remove the knuckle, there are 4 13mm headed (M8?) bolts. These are stuck on pretty good. I am using the good old penetrating oil and my impact wrench, and I can't seem to budge any of the four.

Any suggestions?

I can try the blue tipped wrench (a torch) but usually the impact does an easier (and faster) job.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I read in one of the other forums that the drum brake version uses locktight red on those four bolts. Is the same done on the disc? If so, is heat the right way to get those loose?

TIA -Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, figured it out. I don't need those bolts off, unless I am replacing the spindle.

I had the 30mm external hex center nut off. The hub just needed a little 'persuasion' and it came off.

Many thanks to SuperFlea who wrote up an SVT bearing swap.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119824&highlight=how-to

The ST is a little different, but only in that there isn't a brake caliper bracket. My hubs are now off to the shop to press in/out.

I do need a set of the seal dust rings. Is that a dealer only item?

Matt

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
No dust seals are not dealer only, you just have to be sure you get ABS rings.

I hope for your sake that nobody used red threadlock on those. Blue would be fine. Ford's red is different than Loctite's red-- I can get that loose. Loctite needs heat, so use blue. If it's the same compound, maybe Ford puts a drop on the bolt, and it dries before assembly. I've never tried that myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts