Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 st and my batt light comes on at idle. i have an option on my sterio to tell my batt output. its at 11.4 full electronics it drops to 10.0v i was just wondering after i test my alt. for sure. how dufficult is the job to change it out and what the hell is on the back of it...? i saw the animation assembly on you tube and theres a...vent tube on the back of the alt...? had anyone changed a 05 st alt.. how hard was it?[thumbd]

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the tube is removable, and it shouldnt be too hard to remove.

moved to tech.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. look like a mother...damn what id give to have small hands and arms i read a few other post and im gonna check everything first. luckly i have a back up ford to drive till its fixed...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
the tube is removable, and it shouldnt be too hard to remove.

moved to tech.
Does the air move out of the tube or into the tube? I.E. Does the fan on the alt suck or blow? Sorry for thread jack, but I need to know! [chair]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the battery should be fine it starts good but at idle it has a slight miss...since the batt. light came on it started doing that. everything else is fine just seems that the alt might be shot. and i would guess that the tube is for sucking in coooolller air and not air from the header/manifold but im not for sure on that. the heat escapes on the outter casting...correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did a quick easy test and it starts fine, but has more voltage with the car off which brings me to believe that it is the alt. ill know for sure when i get to work tommorrow.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
just FYI: My 'running' voltage is 14.4. So ya! sounds like you alternator to me.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
could just be the belt is loose orsomething. u might want to check all that first

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Belts are fine i charged the batt today. left work at 12.7 volts and batt light came on while idling, 2700rpms would make the light go off and at idle when light came on the engine would change in tone almost like it cut 1/2 fuel psi. i know its the alt. will change in two weeks! i love being broke!!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
After running the car around for a while stop it. Let it sit for 10 seconds or so with the headlights in to get rid of the surface charge to get a good reading. Then take the connections off both posts and measure its open post voltage. A good, charged battery should read right under 13 volts. If after running the car around for a while it reads good, then it has nothing to do with the charging system.

I would be looking more for a faulty or dirty ground wire than a faulty alternator first. I would check them all out first, especially the one located on the alternator. Inspect all the wires for cracks and damage. Hopefully its nothing internal with the wires.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
When you end up replacing the alternator just shoot me a PM and I can give you some hints on removing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts