Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this thing fully loaded. I have a STEEDA Cold Air Kit and that's it right now.
Obviously it's the 2.3 five speed but I don't know much about them at all.
It's about the nicest car u can get for the money I think.
It's got the Sub in the trunk heated everything, Suede seats, 6-cd, everything and more than u need.

I just got rid of an SVO that I really miss but I was in need of a family car/
The car only has 2300 miles on it so far and I'm still deciding how in depth my mods will be.
I saw some add in a magazine about a SVT 2.3 Shootout. Thought I believe the SVT would be a better all around car I'd rather own the ST. Practically speaking. Beyond the wheel/tires.
What would it take to really open this thing up? I unbolted my exhaust past the cat and it was actually beneficial... Although a little loud for my taste. It sound like a non Vtec B18. I just put it back on and I really did notice a difference with it off.

I'd like to have a quick family car with still good mpg. No driveability issues or CEL's.
If that's out of the question I may buy another Supercoupe/Turbocoupe Tbird.

I really want some SVT wheels.

So far I slightly riced my car out maybe. Debadged, STEEDA Blue ovals front and rear. Homemade ST Emblems over the center caps and steeda wheel. STEEDA COLD AIR KIT with relocated Mass Air, STEEDA door scuff plates, pedals, STEEDA shift knob, billet antenna, cig lighter, a/c knobs, oil & power steering caps, front license plate decals, license plate frame, Headlight eyelids over the chrome top, blue turn signals, PIAA headlights, Blue Backup bulbs, red taillight bulbs, STEEDA windshield graphics, blue interior, trunk, and license plate bulbs.

Do the clutches hold up well in these cars?
What do I need to look out for?
Sorry I rambled on for awhile but I don't know squat about Foci's.
The car has really grown on me.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Clutch is definitely a mandatory upgrade. Mine started slipping around 15,000 kilometers.

Also, I think the intermittent hard to start/no start condition is in relation to the intermittent hesitation/lack of power problem. I think they're both related to do with the throttle, so I'm definitely planning on getting an aftermarket throttle body, and if it's not that, then we'll have to wait until more aftermarket throttle parts become available.

I have a Marcy Motorsport CAI and a Tru Bendz 2.25" SS cat-back exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler. What a difference! These cars are SO restricted from the factory that it's amazing what the two of those will do on their own. Although, I recommend getting 2.5" because I didn't find out until after I ordered my exhaust, that the larger diameter would be better for our Duratec engines.

Also, when you lower these things, they handle well, and I still have enough ground clearance to go over large speed bumps without worrying about body scrape with a 1.5" drop running on 18" wheels with 35 series tires.

You'll be happily suprised with your Focus and how well these Duratecs will react to engine mods, and also how well the chassis will react to even a simple suspension mod like a front strut tower brace.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Doesn't sound like your car's really "ricey". The blue lights, eh... but other than that sounds like you're a Steeda fan huh?!

Anyway, intake was a good choice, an exhaust would help too... either flexback or catback. 2.5" diameter would be best, and of course mandrel bent. Also, if you live someplace without strict emissions testing (ie: not Cali), you might want a header too.

In these cars the stock header has a catalytic converter in it so replacing it loses a cat. But you still have one downstream in the exhaust tubing if you get a catback exhaust. Intake, header and exhaust Really wake the car up. You can also buy a cam adjustment tool for minor tweaking, or if you want to go the extra step get a stage 1 or 2 cam replacements.

Those mods should keep the car plenty driveable for regular use, but it will gain a lot in the power and torque arenas which make it that uch more fun to tool around in! Check the Duratec link in my signature for ALL the parts available for your engine (yours will be code D23 on the charts).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I myself just bought an 05 ST about 3 days ago. Looks like there's not really all that much as far as options for this engine right now. I'll give it about 8 months to a year, that way I'll have more options. I didn't get the Steeda though. The dealership I was at had a few Saleen Foci but I really didn't like the gay wing on the back of it or the price. $28k for 151hp? No thank you. Paid $18k for mine and its got that much, just not the name. I had an '03 F250 befre this and I have to say, it has a little get-up-and-go and thats a lot coming from a guy that lived by the Ford truck. I think maybe it was the gas prices that convinced me to buy....

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Welcome to the Focus fold!

If you keep your foot out of it, it will really sip the fuel quite frugally, especially compared to your F250 I'm sure!

Have you seen this site yet? Depending on what you were looking for in the way of modding options, there's quite a bit out there for your engine. It's been out in the Focus since April 2003 and is a relative of the Ranger Duratec model.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yea, I've been to that site. I guess there is a little out there... One of my friends has a VW GTI 1.8T that he thinks is God's gift to motorsports and another one that has a Honda Civic Si that is pretty riced out and it gets on my nerves that they are both (for now) faster than I am. Stupid imports... I think maybe one of the thing I want to do first is work on getting an intake. I was looking at getting the Steeda intake. I realize its a little more expensive but I like the look of it a lot more. I also want to drop it about 1.5 to 2" and get some 17 or 18" wheels. The stock wheels look nice but I think they are a little small and the car sits exremely high IMO. Is there an exhaust system out there that won't make me sound like a ricer? I've heard the Borla but its a little $$$ for me at the moment. Remember that I'm new to this 4 cylinder stuff...

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Intake is an awesome idea. Understand the Steeda is a short-ram, so the air it draws in is a little warmer, so it'll give you a little less performance.

As for exhaust, check out a system from Trubendz.com, you can get a Magnaflow muffler on there for quite a good price and it's a nice sound too.

Dropping the Focus is always a good idea, they are stupidly high stock! Check out the Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension forum for more info on that, your car can use the same setups as the 00-04 Foci. Some good names are Eibach, H&R, Koni...

·
Registered
40 Posts
This car really comes alive with the mentioned bolt-ons, but it gets serious when you start adding camshafts and a better intake and exahust manifolds.

Bolt-ons and Cams will get you at least 180hp at the wheels.

Bump in compression, mildly ported head and even hotter cams will get you 200+hp.

I'm looking at an ST and a few other cars. The ST with Cosworth Stage 3 or a mix of Cosworth, Supertech, Crane or Comp Cams and other parts will result in a seriously fast family hauler that would be capable of doing some serious damage to just about anything out on the road.

If you want to keep the intake/exhaust noise down, mass is your friend.

When you get a flex-back exhaust or an exhaust with header, be sure to install a sizable resonator between the cat and main muffler. This will keep the around town tone down, no goans and no droaning at freeway speeds. Just a nice mellow but muscular sound that's downright mean when you open it up.

If I got an ST (I used to have an '04 PZEV Hatch) I might look into Ti exhaust because sedans weigh a ton and anything to lighten up the car.

For wheels, whatever your budget can stand. If looks are more important than weight, then you can save some money there but for anything really well made and light its gunna cost you.

A nice lightweight SVT look-alike wheel is the Centerline Storm -

Less than a pound per inch about 14lbs for the 17x7 wheel and they are selling for $140 each directly from Centerline.

They also have 18" Polished RPM's in stock for $249each they come in around 15lbs

Suspension wise you have dozens of options and that's mostly because all the great suspension companies are located in europe were the Focus was first sold.

You can do anything from simple drop springs and dampers to full on racing 3 way adjustable coil-overs. TEIN has Super Street coilovers that are compatable with TEIN's electronic strut valving system or EDFC

Add some Eibach or other sway bars with a limited slip like the Torsen sold by Ford or Quaffie and there isn't much that could out corner a well sorted out Focus.

Tires are also key, depending on budget I like Kumho MX's or BFG KDW for all out performance.

Good Luck you have several directions to take here...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I guess the reason I want a short ram intake is because I had a friend (the above mentioned with the Civic) that had a cool air intake and it rained hard here once and hydrolocked his engine. Do they make a ram air compatible hood for the focus?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey everyone...I just bought my 05 ST and I'm wonderin if there is a borla cat-back system that will fit it, they dont have one listed on their website. Also, I live in Canada and I would like to put headers on but I am concerned about passing the emissions test. They dont do a visual, so does anyone know if just keeping the second cat in the line would keep me under the ratings?

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
good choice on the car... I have an 05 ST as well... only 3,000 miles on it so far... I have 20% tint and a shorty antenna (home made)... the only options I did not get where the side airbags, heated seats and suede as I plan to replace the seats or reupholster them :p

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I guess the reason I want a short ram intake is because I had a friend (the above mentioned with the Civic) that had a cool air intake and it rained hard here once and hydrolocked his engine. Do they make a ram air compatible hood for the focus?
I heard this works for the 05'...

http://www.myfordfocus.com/storefront/intakes.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW from Steeda - Steeda Cold Air Intake Kit for 2.0 & 2.3 Duratec/PZEV
Focus Owners - Be Advised: this is not just any cold air intake kit, this is a Steeda Autosports cold air intake kit. What does that mean for you?

It enhances performance
It looks great
It installs easily
It's your best value
Our Dyno showed six more ponies at the wheels of our Executive Cruiser, and nearly four more pound feet of torque with our Cold Air Kit for the Focus Duratec engine - without re calibration or tuning the engine further. Should easily make even more power on modified engines as well.

The kit includes a precisely machined billet aluminum MAF sensor and handsome stainless steel guard with the stylish Steeda logo laser cut into it, along with a Steeda life-time, reusable filter and all the hardware needed to replace the original factory intake.

Installation is a snap - simple hand tools are all you need to do the job in about an hour, following along with the illustrated instructions provided. When you're done, you'll find that the 'wow' factor under your hood has gone way up as a result of your efforts.

And when you compare this kit to others available, the value becomes clear. Why settle for a glorified hunk of pvc pipe and a new filer element, when you can have a brand new, billet aluminum CNC machined MAF sensor, a reusable filer with lifetime warranty, and a stylish, stainless steel guard instead? Get show and go for the same buck - that's the Steeda Autosports formula for high performance value.

Inventory limited, may require 3-4 additional days for ordering. For an accurate delivery quote, please call or email first!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey thanks for findin the borla cat back for me. And I know that I will pass emissions if I just Bolt ON the Cat back but my qiestion was if I would pass if I did that AND bolted on headers, but kept the second cat.
Also what do you guys think of this as a replacement for my intake?
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=63-1101

And ya the only option I didnt get on mine were the side bags, I like the suede, and heated seats come standard in Canada, or I wouldnt have gotten those either.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Member zekester has the K&N AirCharger, I think he likes it, it looks like a quality piece to me... K&N usually has their act together. Not too many Foci running it right now though.

As for the header + catback, I don't know Vancouver's inspection process, but someone in California passed theirs with a flexback exhaust, without header. So still only one cat, but he retained a different one than you'd be considering. I would guess it could pass, but that's speculation not fact.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ya maybe I'll just go with a flex back system and scrap the headers idea...I'd rather do that than take the chance of throwin away my money.

Also, do you think that the aircharger would be a waste on an unmodded motor. All I will ever be doing is the intake/exhaust so do you think I could just go with a regular CAI and see the same results?

·
Registered
39 Posts
After more looking around I think maybe I will save myself some money and go with the marcy motorsport intake. It looks to get similar results and it is about a hundred bucks cheaper. Not bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts