Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for future reference, wondering if anyone has knocked out the rear sensor for the abs breaks before? This happened in 2009. A friend of mine was installing rear rotors on my 05 sedan (with optional sport package including the ABS anti lock breaks) and must have hit a sensor or something controlling the abs system. As soon as I left the shop my breaks were locking up at random, and so dangerous that I had no choice but to disable them by removing the fuse for the abs altogether. Basically I have been driving without anti lock breaks for the last five years. The ABS, traction control, and emergency brake lights have remained on while the car is running since then. Have taken it to shops and they cleared the three lights, but as soon as the fuse is put back in the abs locks up my breaks and then the three lights come back up on my dashboard. Is this just something as simple as a sensor? Also since my traction control light has been on have I been driving the entire time without that as well? I kind of just have up on it for a long time, after nobody really seemed concerned about it our knew what the problem was. Also the way its been snowing this winter on the East Coast its almost better to not have ABS. Does anyone know of a solution??

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Moved this to the "Brakes, Suspension & Chassis" area for you, somehow ended up in the Duratec Engine performance section.

Sounds like more than just a sensor issue, needs a look by a shop that can read the ABS codes or a Dealer who can for sure. Might be an expensive fix (computer/ABS unit), I'm guessing that's why you've lived with it so long. Diagnosis is cheaper than trying expensive parts, might help to know how large an issue you have.

We'll see what others who know more about the system can guess.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. The Ford dealership is the last place I would ever take my car. Hopefully somebody out there has a solution...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Find a dealership that has good reputation in your area, as your friend certainly didn't help you very much in installing a simple rotor swap and you left with a host of new issues. Simple code reading and fuse replacement hasn't helped, a qualified dealership has trained personnel who actually take pride in repairing issues that you have, and yes they are entitled to being paid fairly for their expertise. Oh for this group of dedicated focus nuts to assist a list of the codes generated by your car would certainly be helpful. Ps, brakes are always spelled brakes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy who messed it up in the first place referred me to another shop up the street where the owner actually worked for a Ford dealership for a long time, and he had the same scanner that they used. It cleared the lights on the dashboard but then they came right back on after the abs locked up again. They estimated somewhere around $200 for a sensor. I'm sure whatever it was went up in price in the last five years. Would of had out taken care of then but I was going on a ten hour drive the very next day so all I could do was disable the abs. And pardon the incorrect use of the word "breaks". I work third shift and was extremely tired yesterday morning by the end of the work day lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts