Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall.... wonder if you could give some advice on my 05 ZX3 2.0 Duratec ATX. Has over 100k miles and lately been experiencing an issue of the engine not shifting at the proper rpm. Like the other day, accelerator seemed resistant to my foot so I mashed it down some, and the trans lurched forward into the next gear- red flag #1. The engine and the outside temp were warm but it was similar to experiencing the "cold throttle effect" when the gas pedal seems hard to push down.

Regardless, after a complete stop, engine did not want to shift past 15mph- red flag #2. However, the engine shifts flawlessly when accelerated by gravity, i.e. going down a small hill. I test drove my car since then and still acts like it doesn't want to go past 15-20mph, instead it revs high, almost to 3k rpm's, then will go into next gear. Sometimes it lurches forward into the next gear, sometimes it's smooth, but the rpm's are way too high. Now, at 35mph, rpm's still increase way too high, and sometimes bounce around on their own. On the highway, my "O/D OFF" light blinked orange as I continued accelerating, forcing the trans to change gears. However, doing around 65-70, the car rpm's were very high, 3-4k and would never drop back. My O/D OFF light has only come back once and currently doesn't show as something wrong on the dash.

Today my s/o changed the auto trans fluid and filter and even added some Lucas Transmission Fix. Holding out on going to a shop, hoping this will fix it. Hasn't been serviced in about 45k miles. The old fluid seemed ok- no traces of metallic particles.

Anyone have a similar problem of their auto trans not shifting at normal rpm's, having to force it into the next gear by forced acceleration?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Check the electrical connections to the transmission, and have someone operate the shifter while you watch the action under the hood.

Even at over 100k miles, I don't think a torque converter would be going out, but it is possible at any mileage. I'd definitely want to investigate the shifter connection and shift module before I started pondering removing the transmission or paying someone to do it.

I would also investigate everything else that goes into shifting the transmission- like getting voltage readings from the TPS. A bad TPS will cause you to have funky shifts, and tell your transmission to do weird things. Punching the accelerator should cause the transmission to downshift not upshift. Upshifts should be caused by lifting off the accelerator.

When I say "look into it" I certainly don't mean go out and buy a shift module and a TPS and put those on the car. Verify if the parts are working correctly using testers. We can get you information on the TPS, but the shift module might just need to be replaced to figure out if it's working or not. Some people unplug things like the TPS to see if that affects how it works, but I don't think that will work well on the shift module. You might simply see wiring damage. Keep your eyes open to anything.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'd expect a 'Throttle Position Sensor out of range' code to be present at some point in the near future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts