Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like I have an oil seepage somewhere. I took off all the plastic covers underneath and noticed that my crankshaft position sensor is coated in oil, which could be causing my rough idle, and also on the other side of the oil pan, there is seepage. I'm thinking that it might be the oil pan gasket because it seems to be on both sides of the oil pan, or that might just be a coincidence. No leaks from up top that i can find, my valve cover is tight and no leaks.

I saw a post on here to clean it up and then see where the new oil is leaking from, I will try that thanks. Anybody know what it might be? I'll see what I can find out, thanks.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Gas Vehicle
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Metal
Hand Automotive tire Wood Gesture Grey
Brown Motor vehicle Wood Bag Luggage and bags
Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Helmet Automotive tire Sleeve Tread Automotive exterior
Helmet Breastplate Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
670 Posts
Based on my three 05-07s and similar I have seen, Oil pan will account for some. After doing oil pan and valve cover, I still have some leakage from the dipstick area on the oil pan and the rear main seal, and timing cover. It's not enough to worry about after doing the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket. Rarely get drops on the ground.

Amazingly one car that has not had regular oil changes (and burns a lot of oil) has zero leaks.

Lottery, I guess.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I’d use brake clean to remove all the oil off the crank position sensor and everything else that’s grimey....especially where the pan mates to the bottom of the engine block, timing cover, and transmission.

I’ve found that the bottom part of your engine has to be really clean to accurately pinpoint a fluid leak. Your engine can’t be too clean when tracking down a fluid leak in my opinion.

You may need a few cans of brake clean and rolls of Scott towels to get everything nice and clean. It may take a few iterations of spraying - drying - inspecting until all the old oil and fluid is removed.

With respect to what could be causing your CKP (crank position sensor) to be covered with fluid....

It’s probably not oil coming from a rear main seal leak. Your rear main seal could have a leak but it would find its low point before it started collecting on the CKP.

The oil on your CKP is more likely to be from your pan, dipstick, timing chain cover, power steering system, or maybe even your oil drain plug.

It could also be power steering fluid. Check to see if there is fluid high on the power steering lines, pump, and things near the power steering pump and reservoir. You have two power steering lines that could be leaking - a black, hard, high pressure line that connects to the bottom of the pump along with a rubber line that connects to the reservoir. Be sure to clean up both lines, connections, and surrounding areas.

The oil covering your CKP could also be leaking down from either side of your timing chain cover or from the valve cover.

There could be a very small chance it could be coming from your AC system but that’s unlikely.

Tracking down fluid leaks are fun!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the timing chain cover is leaking and it is also connected to the oil pan. Going to be tough to fix, have to replace both gaskets at same time looks like. Might as well replace the serpentine belt while I'm at it, big job. Can't find any videos on it yet, just 00-04 which shows you can do just the oil pan, but not on 05. I took the crank position sensor off to clean it in the meantime to hopefully make a holiday trip before I start that project.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Auto part Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Metal Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
670 Posts
I recall you recently changed your valve cover gasket. Some of that oil could have been from months/years of slight leaking above from the valve cover gasket. After clean up, you may find the timing cover leak is not big enough to go through the hassle of changing the timing cover gasket. Also, I doubt the oily crank position sensor is giving you rough idle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recall you recently changed your valve cover gasket. Some of that oil could have been from months/years of slight leaking above from the valve cover gasket. After clean up, you may find the timing cover leak is not big enough to go through the hassle of changing the timing cover gasket. Also, I doubt the oily crank position sensor is giving you rough idle.
Great point on that. I'll clean it up better before my holiday trip and see what it looks like when I get back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't even have to start the car, just sitting a couple days and I can see an oil seepage already. Looks brown and Google says that it's more than likely the rear main seal. That's sad. I guess I'll do the oil pan after the holidays and see if that helps any. If not I would have to hire someone to do rear main seal, a real mechanic, lol. Going to be pricey. Or I might let it ride. I was hoping to get another 100k out of this car. :cry:

Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part Nickel
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Rim Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
327 Posts
@FocusBoomer Let me know if you'd like some 'lessons learned' on resealing and installing the oil pan. Your car is an '05 -- corrrect??

I was / am pretty inexperienced the first time I removed and resealed my '07 oil pan. There were a couple surprises I can share if you're uncertain about what the job is going to be like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts