Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so my 05 focus manual transmission was over charging really bad for about a month and then up and died on the highway. When I tried to start it it would not start or even roll over didn't make a noise so we tried to give it jump and it still did nothing. They tried to bump start it and again nothing. We changed the alternator the starter we checked every wire make sure it was connected check the safety neutral switch a new battery and so many more things and could not find the problem. We tried hooking it up to the code reader and it won't even let it come on it won't connect to it at all, both turn signal lights are staying lit up now when the ignition is turned to on.I'm honestly completely out of ideas on what to check or do next so any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,595 Posts
Check for damaged grounds from the negative battery terminal to the fender.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried push starting it? I just had a similar problem and it was a combination of random things. Ended up replacing/beefing up ground wires, cleaning ground spots, replacing alternator, pigtail, battery wires, and posts. This gen focus charging system is so particular. I would start by checking the wire running from the battery to the starter for continuity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1.) What actually happens when you turn the key to ‘on’? Do the dash console lights turn on and off like they normally do? Do you hear the fuel pump prime up from the back seat for a second or two?

·
Registered
371 Posts
1.) What actually happens when you turn the key to ‘on’? Do the dash console lights turn on and off like they normally do? Do you hear the fuel pump prime up from the back seat for a second or two?
Good Suggestions

·
Registered
371 Posts
You have to do selective diagnostics. Like check the starter motor against the battery manually to see if the starter motor is good or bad before you replace it.

When you turn the key, a series of events should occur.

The main power relay in the engine compartment should energize, and power the passenger compartment and it's fuse board and relays, plus computer. The fuel pump should prime and you should hear a noise from it. The dash lights should fire up during computer boot.

I think to check the computer, you should have voltage on the OBD2 port on 2 on the wires coming out of the computer. You can search for a OBB2 pin out and put a meter on these port pins. Or just use a old school code checker to see if the code reader fires up. I think it's pins 2 and 7. I don't remember.

Turn the key, and see if the passenger compartment energizes. The main relay in the engine compartment sends power to the passenger compartment fuse board. When the computer boots or energizes, the starter motor is able to receive it's signal to energize and start the motor.

A computer is cheap, like $100 with 2 keys as well. Plenty of them in stock.

I would guess it's a relay which are pretty cheap now days.

Reactions: brittanyeblin27
1 - 19 of 19 Posts