Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 05 Focus Here That Hit a Cow on the Passanger Side. Doesnt look to be any engine damage Drivers air bag deployed.

Now when i put the Key in Everything works as for accessories...But when i turn it to start.. it all goes dead. Doesnt Turn over or anything.

Is this some kinda saftey feature i can reset?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Check and see if your fuel cut off switch was tripped or broken. They're normally on the passenger side.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
^^ That.

Look to the right side of the footwell

·
Registered
528 Posts
If it doesn't crank, then the fuel cutoff wouldn't be the issue. Sounds to be something with the starter and/or electrical system.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
That Would stop The car From Turning Over?
I thought I read this right until Mustang's post.

Do you mean the engine cranks, but doesn't catch or do you mean it doesn't turn at all?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what I thought Too...have It on the charger Now.
I got it to a point where it seems to be just doing a real fast clicking noise when i turn the key to start

·
Registered
505 Posts
Then its most likely that there is not enough juice in the battery to run the starter as it takes a lot more power for that than to play the radio.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
What about a ground? could of done something to the ground for the battery or the starter.

Seems weird it would start and run then after a crash the battery goes dead?

Was the battery damaged?

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
^^That was My thought, too. Visually inspect the entire battery and connections, and check Your grounds. Does the dash go dead when You turn the key?

Oh, and I had no idea a cow had a passenger side.

I kid, I kid. I think I'm funny tonight...

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Lots of times when a car is hit hard, the battery loosens. Of course, there's the fuel cut-off switch. If that is tripped, then when you turn the key to ON, you won't hear the fuel pump priming the fuel system.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Lots of times when a car is hit hard, the battery loosens. Of course, there's the fuel cut-off switch. If that is tripped, then when you turn the key to ON, you won't hear the fuel pump priming the fuel system.
But i would think the engine would still crank over and over and over but not fire. Right?

Or are these cars different where if there is no fuel pressure or something they wont even crank?

In his post he says when i turn the key to start it all goes dead makes me think a connection problem. Either ground or the positive but it could still be the battery just seems odd it would go dead that quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
noticed the screen On the deck says "Low battery".....But the battery I have in it Is out of my other 05 Focus and It starts That One.

So there Must Be a Voltage/Ground Problem Somewhere.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
But i would think the engine would still crank over and over and over but not fire. Right?

Or are these cars different where if there is no fuel pressure or something they wont even crank?

In his post he says when i turn the key to start it all goes dead makes me think a connection problem. Either ground or the positive but it could still be the battery just seems odd it would go dead that quickly.
Look I don't know what to tell you but several times I've been in accidents the battery terminals have come loose so that it wouldn't start. It's as simple as that.

No, the fuel cutoff switch doesn't keep it from cranking, it will crank but not start. Any time any Ford vehicle is in an accident, the fuel cut off switch will be tripped. I've seen those trip when people run off the road in cars, or do a 720 violently.

Xtek: Do the odometer voltage test trick if you don't have a DMM to use. Then you'll know what's going on. It might be something else, but if there's no engine compartment damage, I'd assume the battery first. Now if you hit really hard on the end of the fender where the passenger fender meets the door, then you might've damaged the PCM harness. In some states you can sue the owner for letting the cow loose. Either that or just put it on your comprehensive insurance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts