Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'll start from the top. My Focus has been having random electrical issues. I first noticed it about a month ago. A few times over the past month the car won't crank right away. I put in the key, turn, and nothing. No sounds or lights. I remove the key wait a few seconds and it starts right up.

More recently once the car starts, and I turn on the headlights, I hear clicking noises from the fuse box, the dash lights flicker slightly, and the car has an unusual idle. Turning the lights off right away until the car has warmed up solved this once. This week it has difficulty idling from time to time, revving between 400-800 a few times before settling. Also the clicking from the fuse box is more persistent coupled with flickering lights and loss of power in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Finally this morning I go to start the car and it doesn't crank, click, or start. I opened the hood and there is a fairly loud clicking coming from the front of the engine bay in between the battery and engine. I located the source of the clicking but have no idea what it is. It is a cylinder shaped plug with a red ring around it attached to a plastic hose that runs to the firewall. I will attach a picture and Youtube link.

I appreciate any assistance identifying my issue(s). Thank you!

If the image doesn't show, right click, copy URL, paste in new tab.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Flickering lights, clicking relays and inconsistent running is indicative of low charging system voltage. Check your alternator output and battery voltage and integrity of the charging system wiring harness, particulary at the battery posts.
Likely scenario: Failing alternator is not keeping system voltage up and the battery fully charged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I started my diagnosis with the battery posts and wiring. I noticed some white corrosion near the terminal on the thick gauge positive wire. Upon playing with the ground wires the clicking stopped and car started fine. Hasn't had any symptoms the rest of day.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My sister's '05 had the same issue a couple weeks ago. I removed the two ground cables on the fender to the right of the battery, brushed the area and connectors with a wire brush, coated everything with dielectric grease and put everything back together and she hasn't had a problem since. I would highly recommend on doing the same in your situation especially using dielectric grease as that will keep moisture out and prevent further corrosion. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts