Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out the confusing manual and trailer towing guide with all the terms related to towing how much exactly a Focus ZX4 would be able to tow in a trailer on a Class 1 hitch. I know the maximum tow capasity on a Class 1 is 2000lbs, but is that what a focus will tow with say a 5x8 or 4x6 Uhaul van trailer? The maxium Gross Trailer Weight is stated at 1000lbs, but I can find no information on a fully loaded weight with cargo(net weight)? Who can help?

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
i would not pull w/ frount wheel drive nore would i think the hills and trafic are going to be good for the drive line or brakes the car is not that heavey so it has little breaks and it dosent have a lot of ass to pull with either

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a trailer hitch installed on my 2006 so I could use my bike carrier. If I remember right it's 2000lbs net weight and 200lbs tongue weight. I had a difficult time though finding a place that would put a hitch on a Focus.

Give these guys a call if you don't have an installer locally you trust to give you a correct answer. I found them to be very knowledgeable. He went over everything in detail, but since I had no intention of ever towing a trailer I don't recall the exact details.

Master Hitch
(847) 358-7700

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
just out of curiosity, where in MI are you man?

and used to tow with my lil 'ol Zetec hatch, not much, it was just a trailer with a 125cc dirtbike, but it did fine, as long as you didnt make any sudden moves. I think the total weight for bike and trailer was maybe 1000lbs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Know where the Ford assembly plant is closing in MI? Thats where I am...

I was wondering about towability since I was able to tow a uhaul 5x8 van trailer with a Class 1 hitch on the back of a Contour SE Sport. That car weighed about 500lbs more than this Focus and had 36 or so more horses. HP is not quite that big of a deal. I can install a cold air intake if needed. Its more the handling, suspension, and tranny that I'm concerned with. I know not to go over the vehicle's curb weight, but that doesn't really tell me how close I can get to the curb weight before the tail starts to wag the dog. Burning the trans fluid is another worry. I had to get the Contour trans flushed after towing a loaded van trailer with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts