Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 05 zx3 ses, and it's out of alignment i know that, but when i'm driving such as freeway my front tires just shake like crazy and I feel as if they are going to just fly of. I was told it was my wheel bearings. So I called shucks they said they have both wheel bearings and the hub assembly. Les Schwab didn't know if they can replace just wheel bearings or they have to replace the whole thing. But what I want to do is do it myself. Do I have to replace the whole assembly or can I just get the bearings. How hard and maybe some tips. Thanks.

·
AKA KILLA XB
2,238 Posts
mines going out too and everywhere i go they say its going to be $250 for each side because it takes 2 hours for each side to do. but also for you it could be a bad tire or wheel or the wheel could be unbalance because mine makes a sound as soon as i start moving. does yours make a sound?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt make a sound, but my tires worn out a little so I went got my tires rotated they put the good ones up front and as it was in the air they moved the tire and told me the wheel bearings are out.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
It usually takes a lot of miles to wear out a bearing. I suppose the bearing could have prematurely failed but that's pretty rare as well. A failed or worn bearing usually makes lots of noise grinding and/or howling like sounds. In addition to tire balance as mentioned, also check front end components like tie rod ends which can cause the same kind of problems. Take it to a good mechanic to actually and accurately diagnose the problem rather than guessers. The guessers usually end up replacing twice as many parts than actually needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I guess Discount Tires do not get an award for intelligence. I took my car to Les Schwab this morning to get it aligned. He said the cause of shaking has to do with unbalanced tires. Plus they found out some tie rod was broken so they replaced it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts