Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 focus that I cannot get out of PARK unless I use the manual over ride. The brake lights do not work using the brake peddle, but work using hazard warning. The power windows do not work also. The fuses are all good. I read that all these things may go through a common relay. Does anybody know where this relay is located and what number may be on it? Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,438 Posts
You didn't give your body style, but this sounds like it could be related to the wiring between the rear hatch and body. That is a known failure point and it can cause all kinds of weird symptoms. Check it out by pulling the rubber boot back and looking for frayed wires, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuses are all good. Im trying to find what relay feeds them and where it is located, in the engine bay or on the fuse block inside the car. By the way the wipers do not work also. The car is a sedan

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 2005 se Wagon With auto-trans did this just last night.
Absolutely refused to unlock without manual override.
Started in both Park & Neutral. Didn’t know if Brake lights were out or not.

But weird thing is, after sitting for 7-9 hours overnight & then hitting manual override followed up with a ½ hour drive.
Got a parking spot. With engine still running & foot on the brake, I moved the shifter from drive to park a couple times. Did fine.
So turned car off, realeased brake, then foot back on brake, turned ignition back on & worked the shifter again. Worked just fine.
So I don’t know what the hay happened last night, it’s a total unwanted mystery.

P.S.
My rear hatch wiring has been reworked & repaired.
Gauge cluster PC board has been resoldered. (grounding issue)
& my battery cables have been cleaned & any connection issues resolved.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The fuses are all good. Im trying to find what relay feeds them and where it is located, in the engine bay or on the fuse block inside the car. By the way the wipers do not work also. The car is a sedan
Bill,
As you can see by the schematic I posted there is no 'relay'. The interlock solenoid is inside the Gear Shift Unit and is powered directly from CJB fuse 42 (under drivers side dash) via the stoplamp switch. Since your brake lights dont work either I would highy suspect your brakelamp switch as being bad. It is mounted on the pedal assembly and will have a BLK connector. The connector will have two wired contacts - one with two wires: GRN/WHT, GRN/YEL and one with one wire: GRN/RED. Disconnect the connector from the switch and jumper the two wired contacts together (harness side). With the ignition switch on the brake lights should be on and the shift interlock should open.

If jumpering does not turn on the brake lights then your problem is further upstream at BJB fuse 1 (engine comp, 40A) which feeds CJB fuses 42 (brakelamp switch, shift interlock), 52 (seat heaters), 53 (speed control), 54/55 (power windows), and 56 (wipers). Since your wipers dont work either I would suspect this and you may want to look at that fuse first. Do ALL your power windows work?

If infact that fuse is blown I would do a very though inspection of the wiring as it is very uncommon to blow that size fuse.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul you nailed it on your last post. I had checked no1 fuse in engine bay without taking it out of fuse block. I got a good ohm reading but I should have been checking for voltage. The reason I blew the no1 30A fuse is because my front power windows keep blowing the 25A fuse in passenger compartment so I thought I would put a quick jumper in it to try windows. outsmarted myself. Rear windows work fine. Thanks again Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would check your brake light switch at the peddle, for continuity through the switch, with out being plugged in. The switches will supply power to the relay that releases the park lock on the shifter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, the shifter lock is acting up again. ( no leave park without override)
Brake lights come on. Power windows work.
What’s up with this thing?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well, the shifter lock is acting up again. ( no leave park without override)
Brake lights come on. Power windows work.
What’s up with this thing?
Per the schematic I posted above: Since the brake lights work it is not the fuse or brake light switch. It is possible you have an intermittent open between the brake light switch and the solenoid, or the solenoid itself is becoming mechanically or electrically intemittent. Keep in mind you are dealing with a 15 year old vehicle and components fail due to age. You will need to do some inspecting/testing.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
151 Posts
Been trying to locate a replacement shift-detent switch (solenoid) to no avail.
. It appears that Ford didn’t make this part separate from the selector.
Sticking with modular parts for ease of assembly & general replacement apparently, is still the game plan.
I understand it’s done to save time & eliminate possible other failing parts within the module’s assembly. But somedays, for small shops & independent repairist’s this can be unwanted. Until then, we all will contend with it.
-
For any that would like a part number I’ve been using to look up replacement selectors.
{Ford gear selecter# 7S4Z-7210-D }

1 - 11 of 11 Posts