Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My focus has been acting like a crazy lately. The CD player has started to turn off and on again (resetting all settings and clock time). Ill turn it off but it turns itself back on again a few minutes later the whole car will turn off and on again, it kind of lurches when that happens. Ive heard some clicking in the fuse box inside the car. We have tried changing some of the fuses and swapping the relays but it is still happening. The ports connecting to the battery are firmly in place. Any ideas on what to do next? Any suggestions on a electrical mechanic that I could take it to if need be (dfw area)?
Thanks yall!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Check the battery/alternator? I know when my battery started dieing my radio started resetting itself.

That's just a guess... i'm not real good at trouble shooting cars.... give me a computer and it's a diff story >.>

P.S. Welcome to the forums =)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is doing this as well.
I put a new battery in, it was good for awhile, now its back again.
Did you figure out what was wrong?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No not yet. I've cleaned the battery terminals, and took it to autozone where they tested the battery, starter and alternator. The battery was fine but the clerk said their machine was showing that the starter and alternator was getting a signal from the battery, but they were not sending any information back. He said he thinks its something in the wiring, that connects them. Im trying to save up some cash so I can get it looked at so Im not just throwing parts at it.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
** MOVED TO TECH CHAT AREA **

In this area more peeps will see your issue and give you even more suggestions.

[welcome] to the forum and good luck finding out your issue with the radio reset.

I also say check the wires from the battery and throughout the line. Make sure nothing is loose. Or any frays/cracks in the wire itself.

-Ray-

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
No not yet. I've cleaned the battery terminals, and took it to autozone where they tested the battery, starter and alternator. The battery was fine but the clerk said their machine was showing that the starter and alternator was getting a signal from the battery, but they were not sending any information back. He said he thinks its something in the wiring, that connects them. Im trying to save up some cash so I can get it looked at so Im not just throwing parts at it.
There are 2 connections to check, and 2 ways to check it. The plug-in connection is known to fail, and the wires pull out of the plug. The wires coming from the plug are small, and have been known to be physically damaged in the loom as well. I'd suggest pulling hard on those wires while the plug is connected to the alternator. Ford makes a replacement pigtail if you pull your wires out while performing this test.

The other connection is the big wire bolted to the back of the alternator. For this you'll need a digital multi-meter. There should be a built-in fuse in the wire itself near the battery. Use a DMM to test for high resistance in this wire. You should have resistance readings of .01 ohms or less. More than that could indicate a problem with the wire- no continuity, infinite resistance- which should read OL shows that wire is faulty.

Don't discount the little wires that connect to the negative terminal. Problems with those breaking can cause all sorts of issues in the car.

It would be good if you could figure out what is clicking in the dash fuse box. I have read where someone was having issues like you are experiencing and it was merely a relay in that box, but I don't remember what the relay was or anything more than it's location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Electrical problem solution

Mine is fixed!
The answer was on this site after a couple hours of digging.
The problem is a radio noise suppression capacitor in the engine compartment.
The metal base/mount breaks or the wires get fatigued or it shorts out internally.
It is located on the r/h side of the engine, if you are standing in front of the car it will be on your left side between the shock tower and valve cover.
It is a small black plastic rectangle with two wires coming out of it. One wire goes to a connector on the valve cover and the other goes to a ground on the shock tower. The capacitor bracket is bolted with a 8 mm bolt to the valve cover.
On mine the mounting bracket had fatigued and broken off the capacitor was hanging by the wires and chafing the hose from the power steering reservoir.
CANMAN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts