Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Focus aficionados,

Been having a very slow leak show up at the junction of the transaxle and the motor. I think I pinpointed where it is coming from exactly (at least I think). See pics for oil leak. Showing both sides of motor and transaxle.

I have seen one post about a similar leak but I don't think it was ever resolved as to what the actual cause was. Does anyone have enough experience to know where this is coming from and whether it is anything other than a nuisance at this point. Just had the transmission swapped out a little under a year ago and hoping to get at least 2 more years out of this bad boy. Currently at ~170K miles. Any insight appreciated.

Stay safe all!

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,500 Posts
Appears from the photos to be red fluid, so that is from the transmission. Likely a seal is leaking and will only get worse over time. Keep an eye on the transmission fluid level. Do you have a warranty on the tranny?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appears from the photos to be red fluid, so that is from the transmission. Likely a seal is leaking and will only get worse over time. Keep an eye on the transmission fluid level. Do you have a warranty on the tranny?
I actually dabbed the fluid on a paper towel and smelled - as well as assessed the color - and all indicate it is motor oil.
The tranny does have a warranty, but this leak preceded the tranny swap over a year ago.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Engine oil coming from that weep hole due to a leaking rear main seal?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine oil coming from that weep hole due to a leaking rear main seal?
The oil does not seem to be coming from that hole, but from the location the arrow is pointing. I agree that it is probably a bad seal. Wonder if I will have to replace the oil pan soon? Leak is very slow right now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The oil does not seem to be coming from that hole, but from the location the arrow is pointing. I agree that it is probably a bad seal. Wonder if I will have to replace the oil pan soon? Leak is very slow right now.
Why replace the pan? Why not remove the pan and reseal it with RTV (I don’t believe your year uses a gasket but I may be mistaken)?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’m guessing you get a small drop or two on the ground every day. For that amount of oil, I would RTV the area you think is leaking to reduce oil seepage and buy you some time. This may let you know if this is coming out of the weep hole too – just don’t plug the weep hole.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m guessing you get a small drop or two on the ground every day. For that amount of oil, I would RTV the area you think is leaking to reduce oil seepage and buy you some time. This may let you know if this is coming out of the weep hole too – just don’t plug the weep hole.
Maybe one or two drops at best. That's actually a great idea! by weep hole, do you mean the hole in the attached pic?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why replace the pan? Why not remove the pan and reseal it with RTV (I don’t believe your year uses a gasket but I may be mistaken)?
I was thinking that if I was going to remove the pan, might as well replace it. It is the original pan and the car is 14 years old.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yes, the weep hole is that little gap. You are seeing the oil pool at the lowest point it can go. It's hard to tell from the pics but the oil could be coming from the weep hole and following the seam down to the lowest point. I guess you could also stick a bit of paper towel in the weep hole and check (and leave it in there for a short period to be sure). Hopefully, the oil is not originating from the weep hole and therefore a bit of RTV along that seam may stop or slow the leak.

If you do remove the oil pan and RTV it, you don't need a new oil pan unless it is damaged. However, I would personally not do that messy job unless there was a lot more oil loss.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, the weep hole is that little gap. You are seeing the oil pool at the lowest point it can go. It's hard to tell from the pics but the oil could be coming from the weep hole and following the seam down to the lowest point. I guess you could also stick a bit of paper towel in the weep hole and check (and leave it in there for a short period to be sure). Hopefully, the oil is not originating from the weep hole and therefore a bit of RTV along that seam may stop or slow the leak.

If you do remove the oil pan and RTV it, you don't need a new oil pan unless it is damaged. However, I would personally not do that messy job unless there was a lot more oil loss.
Exactly my thoughts...didn't want to remove unless critical to address.

I didn't see a trail from the weep hole, but will try the paper towel method and see if I can spot anything coming from there. Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was at the junkyard last weekend working on an unrelated issue. If it helps, I took this pic of an 05 ZX4 to show how an oil leak would make its way out the weep hole. The oil pan is closed off on the side where it butts against the transmission housing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was at the junkyard last weekend working on an unrelated issue. If it helps, I took this pic of an 05 ZX4 to show how an oil leak would make its way out the weep hole. The oil pan is closed off on the side where it butts against the transmission housing.

View attachment 307480
Thanks, WhatALemon! This is helpful stuff. If the engine oil is closed off from the weep hole, then it can't be coming from there? I actually did the paper towel test on the weep hole and picked up what appeared to be old oil residue so I don't think it's coming from there. I also decided to make sure all the bolts around that area were tight and could feel some turning. I went back and checked for the leak this past weekend and did not see anything pooling, so maybe that was the issue? I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't come back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My ‘07 ZX5 currently drips oil through the weephole only after the car sits unlevel for awhile.

If the car sits level I don’t notice a leak; however when I put either the front or rear up on jackstands to do maintenance, I notice oil leaking from the weephole until a few hours after it sits level again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks, WhatALemon! This is helpful stuff. If the engine oil is closed off from the weep hole, then it can't be coming from there?
No problem, I wanted to see for myself and it was easy to do. I’m guessing the source of your leak is the rear main seal and the oil is exiting through the weep hole. However, (I should have pic'd the side of the oil pan) it is possible for oil to be leaking from the pan at the top where it bolts up next to the transmission - where you can see a strip of black RTV hanging down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem, I wanted to see for myself and it was easy to do. I’m guessing the source of your leak is the rear main seal and the oil is exiting through the weep hole. However, (I should have pic'd the side of the oil pan) it is possible for oil to be leaking from the pan at the top where it bolts up next to the transmission - where you can see a strip of black RTV hanging down.
I agree it could be either. I checked again today (after two weeks of daily driving) and saw a wee bit of oil. I probed the weep hole but it looked pretty clean. I think it’s seeping through and maybe pooling at the lowest point like you said (on my pic). I also found what looks like tranny fluid by the bolt in the second pic. I couldn’t tighten that bolt due to my socket wrench not fitting through that space.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts