Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stumped.

Doesn't rattle in neutral or park. Doesn't matter if the car is sitting or if I pop it into neutral on the highway and bring it's RPM up, no rattle.

If I'm driving I get a rattle. Usually it was pretty insignificant, but today it became noticable, and goes beyond 2000rpm now up to 3200rpm.

I've got proper oil levels, I've done imrc vacuum line test with no change (ended up replacing it today because I noticed it was cracked this morning and got a replacement one from the junkyard). The moment I let off the gas the rattle goes away.

I can't do any sort of parked diagnostic because it doesn't do anything when it's parked

Car has 175,000 miles on it, and not a very detailed service history beyond oil changes.

Has anyone else encountered this? Would it be worth getting another intake from the junkyard and rebuilding the tumble flaps? (Is this a tumble flaps issue?) Or can I delete them and use software like forscan to permanently clear the engine code that may surface from deleting them?

I'm mostly seeking reassurance that this isn't some "you're driving on borrowed time" issue and more of a "it's an annoyance and that's it" issue.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

·
Meh.
10,587 Posts
Sounds are always hard to diagnose online but one thing to check is all your heat shields around the exhaust system. If ones loose, they can cause a lot of funny and random noises.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably the motor mounts. If they are original then that's probably it right there.
I replaced mine with one from 1aauto in March, but it could already be failing. It has a lifetime warranty so I could get it swapped out easy enough

·
Registered
452 Posts
I replaced mine with one from 1aauto in March, but it could already be failing. It has a lifetime warranty so I could get it swapped out easy enough

Sent from my Moto Z2 using FF Mobile
Remanufactured motor mounts are notoriously crap. You either have to bite the bullet and spend $$$ at Ford, constantly replace the junk reman mounts, or buy the VF Engineering mounts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Additional data point:

Randomly put 91 octane in instead of 87/88 and no rattle

·
Registered
41 Posts
how does that even make sense?? higher octane = no more rattle?? I found that rattle went away my clutch started slipping at about 4200rpm. stupid ass dual mass flywheel!! got a stage 1 conversion, still have not installed. but i destroyed the cheap ass trans mount i put on so probably when i pull the battery to do that i'm gonna put the og mount back in. Its cracked but it was a solid rubber mas instead of having the pockets. would like to get some liquid poly and pour my own but shits expensive, at least for me at the moment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts