Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I finally got this done. Decided to take pics as I did it, to post them up here. I couldn't find any real threads on this, so I thought I would put it together for everyone. I think it came out really nice. It adds a bit of color/flash/class to the interior, and matches my own black/gray/billet interior upgrades. Not sure if this was DT owners' lounge, radio, or interior, so I left it here. The mods will move it. I took out my stereo as well.

Anyways:
How it starts out:

So, pop out the little storage spot underneath the console:

Once that is out, there is just a big hole, open to where the radio sits. Reach up and push outward on the bottom of the radio console bezel:

With that loosened, start to pop it out. There are four prongs, one to each corner...

Once all 4 prongs are out (you can see them in the below pic, on the right), the bezel will come out easy. Make sure to disconnect the little wiring clip to the back of the lighter, and then just unclip the wiring harnesses going into the backs of your knobs )they just pop out):

Now, we need to get that faceplate off of the radio bezel. There are 4 screws, which you can see in the pic above, and close-up here:

This is the new hotness going in:

Now, we want all those little switches in the back of the original to go into the back of the new:

So, to do this, we need to undo the screws on each one. There is one screw to each switch/knob. Undo this, then turn the switch a bit, and they can pull out from the back. The knobs on the front will pull off. I had to use pliers to pull them off, but they did finally pop off. Once all 3 are popped out, just install them into the holes in the back of the new faceplate, and screw them in:

The knobs on the other side look like this when you pull them off:

and the new Steedas look like this:

And this is how they look once you push them into the switches you installed into the back of the new faceplate:

My faceplate came with these lights installed already, but if you need to, these things just turn a qtr-turn, and pop out, and you can put them into the new faceplate:

This is what the back of the new faceplate looks like with the switches in, and you have screwed the faceplate into the back of the radio bezel:

Just pop back in the wiring harnesses, and then you obviously just pop the whole bezel back in, and put that little storage cubby back in.

The rewards:
At night:

Day:
vs:

So, that's it. Hope you like it. All in all, only took about half an hour, but longer for me, since I was taking pics and all. You can see the knobs match my steed power plug. Good luck! Opinions? Like the look? [cheers][wrenchin]

Reactions: CJohn364

·
Registered
312 Posts
lookin good man, nice write-up

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Looks great. I also have the svt hvac with steeda billet knobs. Perfect setup IMO.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
moved ya to the interior mods forum, nice write up tho!

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
very nice man. I need to do this.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Nice job! What color is it at night?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its the color at night that you see in the pic...its a nice light green color, and it reflects a tiny bit off the metal surround. looks really sweet. might like them more at night than i do in the day lol.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Oh, that pic doesn't show up for me...stupit work blocker!!!

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
looks good

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
i read ur thread, but where did you get those washers? like, what do i have to ask for?
Good question. Maybe print a pic of the washer and bring to a hardware store? If I go down to mine soon (a possibility, since I'm in the middle of moving), I could see what they're called (I know exactly where they are in the store); maybe I could even pick some up for ya, if you haven't tried/had any success by then...

I'm sure your friendly neighborhood, family-owned, hardware store folks would know in a heartbeat - I'd forget messing with trying to find those at, say, Home Depot.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what are they, just rubber?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and thanks for the offer.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
^^ Yeah, they're rubber - a slightly porous, spongy rubber. But I'm sure any ol' washer of the proper thickness would do...

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol, holy crap maybe not...just got some rubber i can cut myself, but now i cant get the new knobs off! lol

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, i cant get them off.dont wanna do the pliers thing again, and screw em all up u know?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
heres another pic of the interior

1 - 20 of 58 Posts