Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever build their own? I know they make a kit but my brother works at a parts shop and i think he can get the gas struts cheap.

The redline kit is cool but i like the look of 2 better then just 1. If im going to do it ide prefer to put one on each side.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I do believe the Redline kit includes 2 Struts i can't remember though. I want to do it since it would be easier to hold it up.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well on the 2000-2004 the pictures show 2, for the 05-07 its only 1 why they changed it i dont know unless they make more off each kit only selling one shock but still charging the same price.

Even if the 2 shocks have less strength or what ever i still would rather have even support on both sides. If im going to do it ide prefer to do it good.

I can see the hoods on the 2000-2004 being any heavier then the 05-07 they look a little different in the front but how much different can they weigh?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I would say probably not to much of a difference i don't have any extra hoods around to try it but they are probably pretty close in weight. I wonder if you could order a 2000-2004 kit and install it. Can't be to different i would think.

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Would the 05-07 on the right side interfere with anything, like the washer fluid reservoir? If they had to switch to just one shock, then it would have to be a lot stronger, which would explain the price difference.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Would the 05-07 on the right side interfere with anything, like the washer fluid reservoir?
That is the exact reason. I spoke to the guys from Redline at FR11. I wanted a dual set for my CF hood. Due to the fact of where that cap is, it can't be done without sacrificing the amount of lift you can get.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn you guys are good! i forgot all about that washer fluid reservoir.

Glad i came here and asked about it first rather then just order it and hose myself.

Im not even sure where my rivet gun is.[:eek:]

Thanks alot guys for all the help. Ill just get the kit it calls for.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess this is sort of on topic...

Speaking of rivets, how does that work with redline's kit? Do you need to go out and find a rivit gun then?
Yeah i know[???:)]

Thats kind of the issues i have as well. $80. and you will need to drill your own holes and then use your own rivet gun.

redline did all the math as far as the weight of the hood and finding the shock and bracket but we do the rest.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Its easy if we all have the tools. Unfortunately i blew the guts out of my Air Rivet Gun at work the other day so i have to send it in for Warranty. Or buy the $400 one from snap-on. Haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been looking into this myself. Can't we trim the cap or the top of the reservoir to make it fit? I mean we could easily take off an inch of the top and still have the cap fit. I would much rather have two instead of one strut. My only issue with this is I have to be careful of having them open to far, unless they have something that stops it from opening too much. I did that "drifter" hood mod on FJ a year or so ago. You cut the little stopper and the hood is able to open and rest on the windshield. Don't flame me for safety issues because if your hood pops up while you're driving those little brackets aren't preventing that from smashing your window haha.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already ordered the one for the 05-07

I would prefer 2 myself but anything is better that the rod, its a PITA for me to open it and wheel around the hood in my chair while trying to hold the hood up and put the prop rod under it as well.

What if you cut the top of the reservoir down and fit a cap on that sits flat?

I dont even use mine that much, i dont fill it that much and i dont use the fluid in it that much either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I already ordered the one for the 05-07

I would prefer 2 myself but anything is better that the rod, its a PITA for me to open it and wheel around the hood in my chair while trying to hold the hood up and put the prop rod under it as well.

What if you cut the top of the reservoir down and fit a cap on that sits flat?

I dont even use mine that much, i dont fill it that much and i dont use the fluid in it that much either.
Oh crap I didn't realize you were in a wheel chair and actually needed this. I think it's a pain in the ass for someone standing. Mine doesn't have the rubber piece anymore and the rod just flops around. Aad that's exactly was I was thinking. I'm not sure if the mounting point is right where the cap is but we could always put a permanent cap with a hole or flap or something and just use a funnel.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Use a Dremel to make the holes and a hand-riveter to install the brackets. It's pretty easy once you get over the fear of drilling into your car. Measure twice, drill once. The riveting is the easy part, really.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh crap I didn't realize you were in a wheel chair and actually needed this. I think it's a pain in the ass for someone standing. Mine doesn't have the rubber piece anymore and the rod just flops around. Aad that's exactly was I was thinking. I'm not sure if the mounting point is right where the cap is but we could always put a permanent cap with a hole or flap or something and just use a funnel.
Yeah it sucks some times. My drive has some gravel and on a slight hill as well so it makes it it worse when my chair wants to roll into the car or away from the car.

I found this brushed aluminum contact paper they sell at lowes for dressing up kitchen cabinets and stuff. I think before i install the prop rod im going to take the hood off and put that on the underside. Kinda dress up the top of the hood some

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah it sucks some times. My drive has some gravel and on a slight hill as well so it makes it it worse when my chair wants to roll into the car or away from the car.

I found this brushed aluminum contact paper they sell at lowes for dressing up kitchen cabinets and stuff. I think before i install the prop rod im going to take the hood off and put that on the underside. Kinda dress up the top of the hood some
Jeez you can't win with the car can you? Glad you are still working on her though. Do you drive with the hand setup? What made you pick a Focus? And you DEFINITELY have to let me know how that goes and how much. That sounds like a really cool idea. The hood is really easy to take off too just need a second person.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Use a Dremel to make the holes and a hand-riveter to install the brackets. It's pretty easy once you get over the fear of drilling into your car. Measure twice, drill once. The riveting is the easy part, really.
Casey! I didn't realize you were on here too. Hey man I sent you a pm a couple days ago on FJ check it son [poke] lol

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeez you can't win with the car can you? Glad you are still working on her though. Do you drive with the hand setup? What made you pick a Focus? And you DEFINITELY have to let me know how that goes and how much. That sounds like a really cool idea. The hood is really easy to take off too just need a second person.
Yeah i have the hand controls, i like the look of the focus and the hatch. Also the hight of the car was a nice lever transfer from my chair over to the drivers seat. Also good gas mileage

1 - 20 of 31 Posts