Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of 05-07 halo projector lights with 5000k 35 watt HIDs and seem to be having some problems with light throw. I was wondering if anyone that has these lights could post some picture of the light these headlights produce when you're driving.

I'm sure retrofitting projectors would help, but that's allot of time, work, and money I don't have so I need to work with what I got. I'm thinking about putting these HIDs in my stock housing, that's how sucky the light throw is.

I'll try to get some pictures of my light throw so you guys can offer up some suggestions for improvement. I have a long road trip coming up and want the best headlights possible.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already checked that thread. I understand why the lenses had the affect they did. I have a pretty clean cutoff, it's the light throw thats all over the place. I think my headlights are cross-eyed. There also seems to be some rockin' amounts of glare coming from both headlights. I think I'm gonna retro-fit some OEM projectors in these housing, or spend all winter trying to make these work as they should. The light output of the 35watt HIDs compared to the 55 watt halogen is a joke, the HIDs look like 6v flashlights compared to the halogen high beam.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know what your talking about!! I have the same ones, Im in a retrofit process right now to fix the problem. The brights do kick ass though. I think im just gonna replace the projector lenses themselves and the headlamp lenses. Because if you look at our projector lenses and some hid lenses the look way different. Ours look like a egg shape the the hid projectors look like an actual half circle. So im gonna try that first, if it doesnt work then oh well it was worth a try. Good luck with the retro fit as well.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems kinda dumb of us to buy headlights and have to do all this work to them. I'd be fine with doing a retrofit, but it's pretty expensive! I agree that our "projectors" are the wrong shape, it all just didn't add up.

How did you remove your projectors? I can see the three screws, but only 2 of them are accessible, the headlight housing gets in the way of the third.

Any ideas what you want to use for the retro? I'd imagine you'd want something that's close to the mounting points that are already in the headlight.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yea you pretty much have to take them apart to remove the projectors. Its real simple to take the projector apart after you crack them open. Retrofitsource have just projector lenses for sale that will fit. The lenses are clipped in so i just pried them out. If you want i can post up pics later tonight of hpw i took them apart????

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slow, I would really appreciate some pictures of how you did it.

What lenses did you use from Retrofitsource.com? So it's my understanding that you're keeping the base that came with the lens, and simply replacing JUST the lens?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I actually have not done the whole process yet, money has been a lil tight right now. Yes im gonna keep the base that it came with and just replace the lenses. I actually just measured my lense and its a lil over 2.5 inches, so i would need to get lenses that are 2.5inches.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I honestly dont know how it going to work out with just replacing just the lense, i figured i would just give it a try

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you were also able to remove the HEADLIGHT lenses by just prying on the tabs? I tried that one one of them and broke the tab, the plastic sucks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
You heated them up right??? Yea it came apart to easy for me i was afraid i was gonna break something. Most likely after Christmas ill be able to finish them for sure

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't know man I'm pretty happy with the light throw on mine. I didn't buy the HID kit tho, I just have the stock bulbs they sent with the lights.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
So, we can get the Ebay halo projectors, HID kit, install and then swap the lesnes off the stock headlight onto the projectors?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, that would technically work. I think the lenses are only going to help with not having a sharp cutoff line. In the thread I read, the owner had a sharp cutoff line when the projectors were outside the housing, but then the edges became blurry when they projectors were put back in the housings.

My problems are more substantial than a blurry cutoff. I seem to have a lack of light output, focusing, cutoff angle (passenger projector seems to be slightly rotated which causes the light output to flare up at the edge), and much more.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I did some investigation into these after-market projector headlights. I finally wrote AnzoUSA (manufacturer of said headlight replacements) regarding just your type of feedback/complaint. this is there response.

"A lot of people out there are confused about projector headlights but the
truth is that a projector headlight beam is a short wide beam compared to a
stock housing is a long narrow beam.
Sincerely,
AnzoUSA"

So there you have your(our) basic problem. You(me) are using the wrong comparitive (the stock headlights). Installing a HID bulb will not help, as HID has as a component of its engineering a focused output. I.E. the HID bulb is a precise distance from the focusing lense. The lense is also different in that it is (as part of the assembly) made to create a specific 'Z'cutoff (the vertical cutoff). (FYI: 2 stage HID assemblies change from low beam to high beam by changing the HID/Lense distance a small amount).
Basically, there is no way you can easily convert the 'cheap' projector headlights sold on Ebay to anything that comes close to stock without breaking the law (I checked that out to). Now! this is only important in that, law enforcement complaints are on the up. I am a news junky, so when I run across more than 2 stories in a month talking exactly about HID conversion kits (where they just sell the bulbs and harness, not the 'whole' headlight) and the cops, I take notice. The Fed is also getting involved with a proposal to outlaw all the conversion kits. You may want to check your state law as to the specific penalties. Some can be rather steep.
Just trying to be informative. You could try the new Phillips bulbs. They claim to have a whiter output which may help. Do NOT use any kind of halogen with a blue output. Cops are starting to test headlights by putting a piece of paper in front of the the headlight and if they see a pronounced blue color, your parked. Legal HID does not show blue in the main beam, only a light fringe coloring btw.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
^^Thanks for the info! I also am having light throw issues, but i heard from another member who did the lens swap said it helped a lot! I for one know that projectors arent meant for long range lighting, just look at cars with factory HID's in them (Lexus, Mercedes, Acura, etc.) If u sit in the car with the lights on, you'll see that the light output (distance) isnt that far, but far enough to be able to maneuver from objects....

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
one thing I see wrong is people are expecting the hid retrofits to be like the stockers, it won't and can never be on a stock housing. the reflector was never designed for a hid. thats why all the light scatter and blurry cutoff. the way the hid puts out light is by arc where halogen uses a filament, the reflective surface is designed for this, not an arc. an arc does not stay in the center of the bulb and can move from side to side which causes the glare and scatter from them.
do a little research first so you don't have to waste the money and time having to make something work to use them.
on a side note, it's also against federal law to retrofit these into a housing not designed for them.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So explain to me what an HID goes in???[scratch]

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
A car that has them from factory. Which means not us foci folks. I just bought silverstars i dont care about white or cool white and that crap just more money to spend.

·
Registered
930 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts