Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i hope i am posting my question in the right place. But two monhs ago i brought a set of halo headlights off of k2motor on ebay for my 2007 headlights. They were great up untill two nights ago its been cold. i dont know if this has anything to do with it. But the two blue led lights that are at the top of the lights. One of the two on the driver side keep flickering every fast and then last night went out. But later on came back on. Flickering still. Has anyone else had this problem with those new halo lights?? of does anyone know what it may be??? I'm at a lost. Thanks for everyones help!!!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Just the LED? Hmmm. It sounds like a bad connection almost. example. If its a male/female connector like they use in PC's (i call them Amp style), They have been known to have the male not insert into the female. The male 'pushes' the female out of its housing. You can barely tell from the outside (if at all), but what happens is that if things get cold, the connectors shrink just enough to give an intermittent connection.
Thats my best shot without knowing what type of connector it is.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would say the same thing I know a guy that had some of those headlights on a Cobalt and there was a loose wire causting the same problem

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, yes! It could also be just a lousy termination. Good thought

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am Hoping its just that but if its a bad bulb i am gonna have a real fun time trying to find that same bulb. i Guess i will have to take the head lamp apart and see how they have it wired. but i will do that in a week or two when i am at my brothers shop taking my wheels off for the winter time. i'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for your help

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
its probably just that the leds were crappy. i would just un-wire them on both sides.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, but i've heard it's a good idea to put an extra bead of silicone around where the housing seals with the lens to keep moisture out... just my .02 [thumb]

·
Registered
518 Posts
I thought the halo's were wired in series with the LEDs, is there a way to just have the halo's and not the LEDs? I ask because I just ordered a set on eBay as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the halo's were wired in series with the LEDs, is there a way to just have the halo's and not the LEDs? I ask because I just ordered a set on eBay as well.
Yes they are wired with the halos so when u turn it on both halos and leds turn on at the same time. i'm sure you could take out the leds but it looks great with the leds. Its just like now my problem is happening with the one led and i'm sure the rest will follow close behind if it is a bad led.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I read somewhere that you are somehow supposed to wire in resistors for the LEDs because they weren't designed for 12V, only 2 or 3 volts. Could this be the problem? I would imagine if the halo's and the LEDs are in series, if you put resistors in for the LEDs, you'd also be dimming the halo's. If the halo's are CCFL, they most likely won't work because they use a good amount of power to stay running.

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
No, they're wired in parallel. You can cut power to the leds without losing power to the halos.

I had the same problem as the OP and thats what I did. I didn't really like the LED eyebrows anyway. They could be repaired / replaced if you so choose

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts

The wiring for the halos and LED eyebrows is visible in the backview of the headlight.

That wiring harness hanging has one positive and negative wire that need to be wired into the amber bulb in the headlight.
(Why the manufacturer couldn't have done that is beyond me.)
Those wires each split off into two seperate wires (for a total of four).
Two go to the top of the headlight for the LED eyebrows. Just got the positive wire to them and tape it off, no more eyebrows.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can just cut them out, or replace them with higher quality LEDs. One of mine went out but I put an eyelid over them anyway. Way more agressive looking. It would've been nice if the manufacturers had put more in the top of the headlight and made them blinker capable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone know where i am get 12volt leds then so i can replace them all??? and not have them burn out after 3 months lol Thanks for everyone input its making me feel better. I though i was the only one with this problem. Does anyone have eagle eyes phone number?? so i can yell at them

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Anyone know where i am get 12volt leds then so i can replace them all??? and not have them burn out after 3 months lol Thanks for everyone input its making me feel better. I though i was the only one with this problem. Does anyone have eagle eyes phone number?? so i can yell at them
No such thing as a 12 volt LED. LED's have a dropping resistor. Here is how you calculate the resistor.
Example: LED is published at 5 volts at .080amps (80 milliamps). That is the MAXIMUM rating. So pick a resistor that will supply about 30ma (30 milliamps). 12 / .03 = 400 Ohms. So put a 400 ohm resistor in series with the LED and hook to 12 volts. If you want a brighter LED then you increase the current to say 60 milliamps. (12 / .06 = 200 ohms). But the LED will not last as long. Typically, if you run an LED at ~20 milliamps, they will last a very very long time (decades). Note: Blue LED's are not as efficient as yellow or red LED's, so there not as bright for the given amount of current. So they really juice them to get enough light output and that's why they seem to burn up so fast.
Hope that helps. [wiggle]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it does. So why would they even bother putting leds in these lights if they are just going to burn up really fast???

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Yes it does. So why would they even bother putting leds in these lights if they are just going to burn up really fast???
Lol! Because they look cool on the pictures?

Here are 2 links you should find useful if your going to replace the LED's
Note: I have to assume there 5mm LED (most common). The second link talks about how they rate light output. Keep that in mind when you look at viewing angle spec.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_MCD_brightness_for_solar_lights

[wiggle]

P.S. You can also use a **dropping resistor**(see note) on 12v incandescent bulbs to make them last longer as well. Sometimes that is preferable as you get more light output. Granted they won't last as long as a properly driven LED, but it can be years vs. decades as a comparison. You might find that acceptable.
NOTE >> **dropping resistor** for incandescent bulbs. The BEST type of resisitor is not a resistor, it's X power diodes in series. Assume ~ .7 volt drop per diode. The PN junction of the diode is like a surge protector (ever notice regular light bulbs almost always seem to 'blow' just when you turn on the light? The inrush surge current is the culprit). Yes there are 12v bulbs the same size as a 5mm LED, but you also need to get the socket. I.E. more of a hassle to connect up and mount. NOTE: This is only practical for small voltage/current incandescent bulbs.
Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I just had to same problem. One of my LEDs went out on the eyebrow of my headlight. I just decided to cut the power wire supplying them anyways. I think that it looks cleaner with out having the eyebrow lit anyways. I think if the eyebrow lit up brighter or something it would be cool, but I know of mine, the eyebrow didn't light up that bright.

·
Registered
518 Posts
levin, how did you cut power to just to LEDs and not the halos? I thought they both run from the same power wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the exact same lights i installed them 16 days ago , and last night when i turned on my car the inner cffl halo on the left head light was much dimmer then the rest i was wonderinf if anyone can tell me if its a wiring issue or a defect

1 - 20 of 22 Posts