Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Paul - you were right. No hairline cracks but big one width of coil pack on 1/4 side which is towards engine. On closer inspection after cleaning found several more large cracks on other side too. Wonder it was running as well as it was

GREAT advice. Thank you
(y)
It was probably the original coilpack.

My other piece of advise to you now would be to replace it with a MOTORCRAFT DG536 coilpack. Yes they are a bit more $ than the parts store/aftermarket units but well worth it in my opinion. I would tell you to shop around but there is a lot of counterfeit Motorcraft parts out there now. I would not buy from Amazon or ebay. I would trust Rockauto, and online Ford dealer (such as Tascaparts.com, etc) or you local ford dealer.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
(y)
It was probably the original coilpack.

My other piece of advise to you now would be to replace it with a MOTORCRAFT DG536 coilpack. Yes they are a bit more $ than the parts store/aftermarket units but well worth it in my opinion. I would tell you to shop around but there is a lot of counterfeit Motorcraft parts out there now. I would not buy from Amazon or ebay. I would trust Rockauto, and online Ford dealer (such as Tascaparts.com, etc) or you local ford dealer.

Good luck
Paul
yes it was original one. Still had Ford part tag on it. I tried my ford dealer but they had to order it. I broke down and had to get a Napa one as I need it for a doctors appointment tomorrow morning earliest and they had one in stock. Hopefully it will last. Have had decent luck with Napa parts but not complete confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
yes it was original one. Still had Ford part tag on it. I tried my ford dealer but they had to order it. I broke down and had to get a Napa one as I need it for a doctors appointment tomorrow morning earliest and they had one in stock. Hopefully it will last. Have had decent luck with Napa parts but not complete confidence inspiring.
So you have installed new part and engine is running OK?

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So you have installed new part and engine is running OK?

Paul
oh yes. Runs great. Forgot to say that. I can sit with brakes on in gear with air on and it doesn’t stumble at all now. With all the cracks in coil I am amazed it still ran so well.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
oh yes. Runs great. Forgot to say that. I can sit with brakes on in gear with air on and it doesn’t stumble at all now. With all the cracks in coil I am amazed it still ran so well.
(y) :)

Paul

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Next time it may fail in a totally different way and still can be coil, they have a hundred different fail symptoms on that part and commonly you may change several. I went through maybe 6 of various brands on two cars until I got tired of it and went to Contour coils from earlier, But the Focus coil brackets don't fit those unless you mod for them. The Contour coil is the same design but not packed in quite as small an area, that last compaction made the coils fail left and right, they get too hot. The Contour windings are bigger and require a bigger hole in the bottom of Focus bracket to fit, or extended studs to lift up coil 1/4", or the Contour bracket, and the plug wires change to different ends to match the coil. The electrical connector plugs right up. Haven't failed one yet and even on my '98 Contour.

Ford making parts 'better' as they have in the last few years.

Props to Paul for that.............I should have brought that up too.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts