Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read all over about the Cooling fan resistor, and that seems to be my problem. Leaving the AC on will cool the car fine, but without A/C the car will eventually almost overheat.

I bought the cooling fan resistor from my local dealer, and located it easily, but how do you get it out? It's shrouded on all sides.

Does anyone have a good how-to on removing the whole cooling fan assembly or the resistor alone? Do I have to remove the subframe to remove the cooling fan? I got all the clips & connectors out, but there's no where to pull this fan.

On a side note, the pigtail connecting to the resistor looks very clean & undamaged. I wish I could see the resistor itself to see if that really is the problem. Right now, I'm just assuming so. I'm going to drive the car with the new resistor zip tied in place tomorrow & see if it solves the problem (too hot to add zip ties now).

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. FYI - 04 SVT 84k mi, Zx5

·
Registered
291 Posts
The resistor housing just pops out of the fan shroud. You may need to pull back on one of the tabs to release it.
As for the fan assembly, disconnect the two large electrical connections near the DS headlight, then from under the car reach up along each side of the fan assembly and release the catch about 2/3 the way up. After that the whole assembly will lift out of the support. Watch out forr the O2 sensor wire that runs above the fan pack., you don't want to screw it up.
I remove the fan pack from the bottom by rotating the the assembly counter clockwise and then removing it towards the DS of the car. The header heat shield may give you a little grief but the fans will go past it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a day driving around, the resistor was the problem. Car is fine.

Now to just get the new one that shroud.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts