Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 211 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Lot of work, but worth it. Great your replacing the cradle. Great to powder coat the cradle/a-arms, ect....

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yep. Anything with out a bushing is getting powder coated. The components in the rear (toe arm, trailing arm, lower and upper control arm) that have bushings will wait. Going to replace them with prothane when they need to be replaced.

Hope to have every thing for powder coat by the end of the week first of next week. The shop I use (Armor Coatings, in SL, UT) does a great job. It's a two stage of color and clear so it handles the abuse of road rocks hitting it.

Just trying to get the handle on what I can / should do that's best for the undercarriage. Wondering if its work dropping the fuel tank. Eventually when funds are more flush want to take everything off and get the whole car & chassis blasted and repainted.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Yea it is some work but once done, that should be the last time.....

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Got the header put back in, using ARP hardware, new tube, and the beautiful wrapped header.

Just need the rubber elbow to attache the new PCV and the tube. Should arrive later this week.

Going to get the bearings pressed out the front knuckles this week and dropped the rear spindles taken to a shop to get them extracted.

Ordering the Massive street rear dog bone likely today (sad no 4th of July sale...)

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
More parts received today.

New bearings and hubs. The rear hubs appear not to include the back gasket that goes on the shaft of the spindle. Are these available from some source?

The elbow is a bit small and took a bunch of work to get the elbow over the PCV. But got it in and installed.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Double post.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Well, thanks to photobucket and their high way robbery, I will be taking the next few weeks to try to rebuild the restoration pictures.

I got some more parts and bent replacement hard lines for the rear disc brakes.

Took the rear calipers apart for powder coating and clean up.

Going to now try to take the fronts off. Lost my 15mm wrench at the junk yard... So going to have to pick up a new one.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Just used some sockets that had a Out side diameter that matched the bend radius. And the used some wood blocks and my hands to bend then using the ones I took off as a form to follow.

Edit: Added picture

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Got my new dog bone mount in.

Looks so much better than the stock one. I wish I had my own powder coating shop, i would try to powder coat everything.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Getting parts organized for powder coating...

Just missing some rear hubs still getting bolts extracted. Once those are done part will be off.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
As in don't install them on the rear cross member / trailing arms? Or just don't powder coat them?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Not a whole lot for me left to do while I await for the rear spindles.

Cleaning up parts. Having a stand mounted grinder/wire wheel makes this a lot easier than using a drill operated wire wheel.

Not sure if I should coat the other rear bracket or wire wheel it. Thoughts?

Also thoughts on what to do with the under body? It looks like its mostly surface rust from where the cross member was touching and causing the dissimilar metals and rust to "bridge" if that is even a thing.

The problem is that some of the points are used for alignment of the cross member. If I use a heavy body under carriage spray it could cause alignment problems?

I also picked up a new fuel fill tube (new as in not rusted to all crap).

A quick power wash and scrub should make it paint ready.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Got the fuel fill up tube removed and drained the fuel. Right now even with the garage door open I think I am feeling the fumes.

Shop is still working on the rear hubs and extracting the bolts.

Noticed today also that there are no heat shields on my car either... Noticing a lot of the little things missing. Going to swing by the junk yard tomorrow to pick up what I can. The metal "nuts" can be removed with a 1" socket right?

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Got the fuel fill up tube removed and drained the fuel. Right now even with the garage door open I think I am feeling the fumes.

Shop is still working on the rear hubs and extracting the bolts.

Noticed today also that there are no heat shields on my car either... Noticing a lot of the little things missing. Going to swing by the junk yard tomorrow to pick up what I can. The metal "nuts" can be removed with a 1" socket right?
for the heat shielding?
i think its either a 1/2" or a 10mm but i'm not 100% sure.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Yea, the large aluminum "washer/nut" that are for ALL the heat shield that go on the barbed studs. I think they are larger than 1/2".

On the way into work this morning and not wanting to remove that much heat shielding I am thinking of just coating and then putting the DEI metalized film. Or at least deal with it when I replace the exhaust.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
its been a year since i messed with those nuts.
i could be wrong. good luck

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Well found a car at the junk yard that had some good looking shields and already had the whole exhaust removed. so, cheaper and easier than the other plan.

81 - 100 of 211 Posts