Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, that was me. I posted both questions simultaneously lol. I feel like with as many miles as mine has I need to pull it and inspect it, then replace or repair as necessary

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Yeah, that was me. I posted both questions simultaneously lol. I feel like with as many miles as mine has I need to pull it and inspect it, then replace or repair as necessary
I had to replace the front and rear on the SVT. On my ZX3 I have removed the front but was good condition and just got it powdercoated. The rear was beyond bad and had to replace it and get it powdercoated.

Luckely the junk yards around here have enough selection of cars to get a crossmember that just needs to get blasted and coated.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Thanks!

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Been mostly normal with driving Rocket as a DD.

I decided to check what state the shifter tower square slider bushing was in:

Decided to go with the https://www.alexthemachinist.com/ for the Derlin bushing:

(The steering rack bushings are for the Track Foci)

Got the tower taken apart. Hope it was locktight because the bolts i thought were almost seized. after some clean up and wire brushing it was ready for the bushing. Looks like I caught it before it did any damage to the metal:

This was the bushing that was removed:

The weight bushing still looks good:

This is all after 114k miles on the car.

Got the new bushing installed. had to trim a bit of the sides to get it to slide in the grove (as per the instructions indicated it may need). Got it installed and looks good and the shifter feels much better through all the gears.

While also working on the SVT I tried to see if my Xcal2 would work on the SVT. I have heard that some will work with the SVT. Got a test tune for the SVT from Tom and when I went to try to load it I got the following message:

So will likely get the Xcal4 with the right firmware that still works for the SVT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used the same bushing from Alex. Worked great. If you get the XCal4 you will need to get the older softer version that supports the SVT.

BTW-been following your restoration. Looks great!

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Thanks.

I have been wanting to get it tuned and been debating the best way. I heard that some worked with the Xcal2 in rare cases. Tom was willing to work with me to try it out and built a strategy for me to try out. So Xcal 3 or Xcal 4 (older firmware).

I am working on getting my other Foci out to the track so that has taken my car funds as of late. but hope to get the SVT tuned in the next month or so.

It needs a tune up also. Owned the vehicle for 2.5 years now and still have yet to do the wires and the spark plugs. So also need to do a regular old tune up before I do an ECU tune.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I absolutely recommend a tune, best mod I’ve done. I have Tom doing the tune on my SVT. It feels like a completely different car, much more fun to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Well it has been a while since I have posted anything on this build thread. I have done a few things, but not much.

Finally got around to changing the transmission fluid out.

I was able to use the endoscope that I got for Christmas to take a look at my shifter bushing.

I could tell from shifting there was to much play in it but pictures confirmed it. Got a delrin replacement from Alex the machinist.

Thats about it...

Has been driving and running like a champ at about 140k miles on her. other service items are going to be coming up that I need to do. I got some SP462 spark plugs that I need to gap and get installed. Need to figure out what I want to do for wires.

For my birthday I got a set of C-F-M Silicon couplers s for the intake manifold. I will likely get those installed when I have a weekend to clean up the engine bay.

Not much else needs to be done. I am still looking for a way to tune the car and with SCT dropping the SVT it will make it a bit more difficult. also going to get a short throw shifter at some point and need to figure out where I am getting a brake fluid leak. and get a new T-stat housing and next summer will likely be clutch time since I think I am still on the factory clutch. So quite a bit to do but not emergency work.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Spark plugs done. Did not change out the wires, those likely need it also.

But the ones that got pulled ranged from a 0.060 to a 0.062 gap. So think they were time to replace.

not the worst I have seen picture post.

Reactions: okaythen
201 - 211 of 211 Posts