Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a deposit on a 04 saleen n2o edition 2.3 and it needs a motor.. i was reading that theres a few differences in the 2.3 motors as far as final hp numbers... is there truth to this or is it all in tuning of the car they came out of? also i ready something about the st motors having more hp due do the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The older pzev 2.3s had emission stuff on them. Just put mods on it like a header. And delete all the pzev stuff. Think that's about all

·
Registered
575 Posts
Once you start modding it there pretty much created equal. What you were referring to was the ones made for the green states, they yield less power because cause of the extra emission stuff put on it for state regulations.
Basically just remove that stuff, its a power robbing restriction. Enjoy your Saleen man i get a kick out of mine!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it hard to remove all the stuff? what year motor should i get? i know nothing about motors for these things..

if it was a contour svt id know everything lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
is it hard to remove all the stuff? what year motor should i get? i know nothing about motors for these things..
03-07 are the 2.3L years
Its easy to remove, you will see it but be sure to get a tune and a delete for the things you remove or you will get a CEL.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks a bunch....... ill hopefully know this week when ill be able to get the car and im hoping to have it done for this coming weekend... does the saleen come with a header or just a stock manifold with there catback?

·
Registered
575 Posts
ok thanks a bunch....... ill hopefully know this week when ill be able to get the car and im hoping to have it done for this coming weekend... does the saleen come with a header or just a stock manifold with there catback?
everything is stock on the engine, but the exhaust is magnaflow

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok sweet thanks... i found a bunch of them around here... can you change the header while the motors in the car? i know on contour svt its a painnnnnn to swap it after.

·
Registered
575 Posts
ok sweet thanks... i found a bunch of them around here... can you change the header while the motors in the car? i know on contour svt its a painnnnnn to swap it after.
Yes its easy, plenty of room to work. But if you do the intake its best to change it or swap the PCV while its out, because its behind the intake manifold!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much n20 can these motors handle... i know i see a lot of the zetecs blown but i dont think ive seen one 2.3 blown....plus ive looked at a lot of saleens and havent seen one with a blown motor from the n20. i sure someone has beat on one and used a lot of juice. can they handle more then the 75 shot?

·
Registered
575 Posts
how much n20 can these motors handle... i know i see a lot of the zetecs blown but i dont think ive seen one 2.3 blown....plus ive looked at a lot of saleens and havent seen one with a blown motor from the n20. i sure someone has beat on one and used a lot of juice. can they handle more then the 75 shot?
75 Wet is what Saleen used and it put out down about 240hp. Based on those numbers thats all the stock clutch can handle. i would not put more than 280tq on a stock motor.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
I have a 2004 2.3 in my 2005 ST, (original motor started consuming large amounts of oil). It is exactly as fast, if not faster, but I have the 2005 emissions stuff on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the help im going to hopefully get the car next week.. still waiting for the title.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a 2004 2.3 in my 2005 ST, (original motor started consuming large amounts of oil). It is exactly as fast, if not faster, but I have the 2005 emissions stuff on it.

I had the same problem with my 07 2.3 in my ST. Stock motor sucked oil and eventually toasted cylinder one. New warranty motor has been good so far but i am extremely cautious of checking oil all the time in it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
will a header make a big difference or is the stock on just as good

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Header will make a big difference as the stock manifold has the primary cat built into it. You'll need a tune to accompany the header, as well as an intake and exhaust so it can breathe.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
I had the same problem with my 07 2.3 in my ST. Stock motor sucked oil and eventually toasted cylinder one. New warranty motor has been good so far but i am extremely cautious of checking oil all the time in it.
Glad or Sad that I'm not the only one? Really makes me want to dump this ST and get a new car next spring, possibly the new ST.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts