Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Focus ZX5 2.3L Durtec PZEV has the AC clutch cycling on and off every 60 seconds.

This causes the engine to have a noticeable "clunk" when idling. What is strange is that this happens when the AC is off, not on defrost, and even if the fan speed is set to 0.

I have recently replaced all three motor mounts as they had visible signs of rubber and oil wear on the passenger mount. I have observed the AC clutch cycling on and off when the car is parked and I know this to be the cause of the clunking. The AC does get cold when on but maybe not as cold as it could.

First step I need to get the AC system checked for refrigerant and pressure tested. Any other things I should be thinking about?

I did recently replace some vacuum tube as I discovered a cracked dry line going into the intake manifold. Something for the intake runner flaps.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Does your a/c fan work on all the speeds? If not, then possibly a switch, but more then likely the resistor behind the glove box......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your a/c fan work on all the speeds? If not, then possibly a switch, but more then likely the resistor behind the glove box......
Took it in today. Freon was half of what it should be. This indicates a leak in the system but the shop said that is likely so small it could take weeks to month to be noticeable again. The put a dye in the system so that if there is a small leak it will be noticeable under UV light.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Very well could be a O-ring....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AC blows super cold now and no longer cycling!

I believed the idling chugging issue was the AC clutch cycling and while it low on freon and fixed now, another problem has come to my attention.

I created a new post just in case for this. I can not link to it yet since I am a new member but I posted in the same thread section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts