Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Focus ZX5 Premium

Recently , my transmission has been giving me a issue , and i am concerned what it could mean.

It is a Automatic , The last gear while in drive either fails to engage or the engine will just rev , which has forced me to either drive with the overdrive off , or when it doesn't engage , then to drive at high revs around 4000.

Any ideas , my gut tells me a solonoid , but i am also very unfamiliar with the transmissions in this vehicle , so could anyone enlighten me to how the gears work in this transmission as far as how they work with solonoids and if anyone has come accross this same issue what was their cause.

A little history on how this occured ....

I was driving home , and i don't drive all crazy like , i drive i guess normal , i turned onto a road a few before my road , it was uphill , and then it just slipped , suddenly , no noise , or anything , just slipped , then when i slowed down enough it managed to get back in gear , obviously a lower gear and i kept on going . Thats it, nothing else .

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Greg

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I"ll bet its a solenoid as well...I wonder if Ford can run a diagnosis on the tranny functions? Getting any CEL's?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CEL's? Sorry i am not as fluent as i would want to be , I do have a Check engine light on , have yet to get it read , probably will This coming Thursday .

IS there anything else in the transmission than cause the symptoms i have ?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fluid is fine , Not burnt or low , But i will get the code read , i can only hope its a Solenoid , cause then i know its not a new transmission :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i had the CEL finally read and got three codes back

P0171
P0401
P0750 - This is a Shift Solonoid A Malfunction

Can any elaborate on the three codes so i can have a better understanding?

Thanks in Advance

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code, CEL (Check Engine Light), MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light)) lookup available here

In brief:

P0171 - System too lean. Your air/fuel ratio is too lean. Sometimes the result of air intake leaks.
P0401 - EGR flow insufficient. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow as measured by a sensor isn't as much as it should be. Commonly a failed DPFE sensor.
P0750 - Shift solenoid A malfunction - Self explanatory.

See the DTC link for detailed possible causes and cures.
The first two codes are engine related; the latter one is your transmission problem.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply , i appreciate it

The code P0171 i can certainly answer with , i have been having issues over the last few weeks with the clamps on the cold air intake , so air has leaked in from a source other than the filter ,i think i have that sorted

the P0401 , is a little more confusing to me , however i will have to work through it

The solonoid , as was explained to me and someone can correct me if it isn't common or ever happens , but it could also be a wireing fault rather than the solonoid .?.

Anyone have any idea on what the part number i would need to replace Solonoid A?
probably not but worth a try

and does anyone have a diagram of where solonoid A is so i can see about a cheaper labour wise to get it replaced :p

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
the P0401 , is a little more confusing to me , however i will have to work through it
Info on DPFE here.
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80&ht=DPFE%20Sensor%20and%20EGR%20Information

The solonoid , as was explained to me and someone can correct me if it isn't common or ever happens , but it could also be a wireing fault rather than the solonoid .?.
Yes could be wiring. Only testing/examination will tell for sure.

and does anyone have a diagram of where solonoid A is so i can see about a cheaper labour wise to get it replaced :p
Pics here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239722

1 - 11 of 11 Posts