Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all over this forum and the SVT forum trying to figure out what is causing my Focus to overheat. I conceded to the possibility it could have been the resistor pack because it had all the symptoms: fans not running except with ac, overheating at idle, badly burned resistor pack and female connector. Well I've replaced both the cooling fan resistor and the connector with new OEM parts and STILL the overheating.

I'm not leaking any fluids near the thermostat housing or the waterpump. My coolant levels are all fine. This problem is very consistant...not an intermittent thermostat issue. My only idea is that the water pump is going out, but not leaking one drop of fluid....is that possible? All the threads I've seen complain of some kind of leaking.

I think this because the car stays very warm after being off for a couple hours. When the car does start to overheat...I can rev the RPMs up between 2-3k and it begins to lower its temp down to normal levels. Then, begins to rise again after 10-15 secs at idle...

Sincerely,
[?|]

·
Registered
636 Posts
just had this happen, I replaced the resistor and the adapter/pig tail and same thing...no fans.. I replaced the two relays (they looked fine) and viola! problem solved. about 40 bucks combined from your ford dealer. I can show you which 2 they are but you can also look in your owner's manual or if you dont have one then look at this link and find yours : http://www.focusplanet.com/#Focus Owners Manual

I have a 2003 with the zetec so I'm guessing you have the same exact location...it is relays R9 and R10...replace those and enjoy. Another thing (and I'm not saying your dumb or anything)...make sure that green and white wire went into position 1 in your pigtail adapter or whatever wire color yours was. Also when you clipped the wires from your burnt pigtail you shouldve clipped a couple of inches of wire not just right up to the adapter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. I'll definitely go and pick those up from Ford. I only have one questions about the relays you are referring to. R9 is engine management and R10 is battery voltage sensor. Would these really effect the fans from coming on? It looks like R3, cooling fan relay, would be a better canidate.

You said they didn't look bad so I'm still going to replace R9 and R10 since you got positive results, but do you think I should throw R3 in also?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Replace the pigtail first.

I don't recommend replacing relays unless you're sure the relay is at fault. This is rare on any car. The way to test a relay is to pull a relay of the same type that you are sure works- like the headlight relay if those are the same size, then swap it out for the relay you feel might be bad. If you have no other appropriate sized relay, then I can direct you how to bench test the relay with some crimp on female spade connectors, a 12v power source, and a DMM. If you don't have that, then I still suggest replacing the relay last. In 20 years of working on my own vehicles, I can only think of one 30a+ relay that actually caused a problem. Maybe there were 2, and I just can't remember.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already replaced the pigtail and still no fan. I did notice the fan came on once for a VERY short time then never came back on. One of the fans does come on full blast very high speed, but the other never comes on at all sitting at idle.

Like I said previously. If I rev up to 2k RPM, it cools off, then heats up at idle. All of this is done while parked.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Check temperature readout at the PCM using the electronic odometer trick. If you notice that your temp suddenly jumps to something outrageous like 200C, which is about 392F, then you know your temp sensor is wack. Usual temp should not get over 110C. You should see the temp rise up to 95C, then cool off as the thermostat opens, then rise back up to 95 until it maintains a steady temp just above 95C.

Since the engine cools off while driving- you said overheats at stoplights- then it has to be fan related. If it was thermostat or water pump related then it would overheat while driving at highway speeds because the basic fundamentals of cooling weren't working.

Are you sure you made all your connections tightly at the pigtail and connected all the wires correctly?

Did you swap out relays to test the relay? I didn't say it was impossible, just not very likely. You have gone through all the repairs I would make before going to the relay. The resistor and pigtail were damaged- so those should be replaced first.

Is the temp gauge the only hint that it's overheating? Is there any pinging? Spark knock?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts