Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem with buying any used car is that you don't know what has been done to it and what needs doing.

We decided to replace the timing belt just for GP's. When I remembered the ZTW had a DOHC, I decided maybe someone else should do the belt. When we got the car the mechanic/seller told me that the belt looked 'new' so it wasn't replaced. He did replace the alternator, serpentine, replaced the coil pack with one from the pick 'n pull in St. Catharines and added some new SP wires. It ran OK, but not stellar. Turned out it also had 4 NGK plugs that it didn't appear to like too much.

The shop we go to is flexible about bringing your own parts. They will warrant it as long as you use name brand items. The shop discovered that the valve cover had been off and someone had gooped up the gasket** with silicone, small traces of which I found in the oil when I drained out a little excess oil (about 700 ml) - don't know how I over filled it!

** I didn't include the neoprene gasket; - boy that sucker is expensive!

Ordered a timing kit, new water pump, idler and tensioner for the serpentine and bought four new plugs at Brock Ford. Figured since the front of the engine was off anyway the shop could install the extra pieces as well. Would have taken me two days to do this, no joke! They did a flush and fill too. Now we should be clean and green for the winter.

Had the shop replace the fuel filter too, which in hindsight sounds like it was a good move for two reasons. Second reason was that the filter was original for 162,000 Kms.

I washed the air filter and let it dry a month ago. Seemed to help the gas mileage. Was dirty, but not original.

Monitoring the mileage to see how these changes have affected it. Was getting an average of 32 mpg on an Imperial gallon (city/highway) before it went into the shop. Purred like a kitten afterwards.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I also have a -get ready for winter set of maintenance items to check off.

-check the oil
-tire pressures usually changes as weather cools down

All done. Now ready for the those brutal 40 and 50 degree days.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.... Now ready for the those brutal 40 and 50 degree days.
Yep on the maintenance items, but oh please!

You don't know what cold is until you have lived in Edmonton or Fort McMurray where a typical week is -40 (doesn't matter; F and C are the same at -40) and it is colder than a witch's bottom!

I had a '69 T-bird in 1976. One morning in Edmonton at -40 I went out to start it (block heater plugged in BTW) and then pushed the plunger down in the door, held the thumb release in and closed the door to lock it. The driver's side glass went crack, turned opaque and fell inside the car. Rubber door weatherstripping around the window that sealed it against the weather was like rock. Window didn't appreciate it! [ohcrap]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts