Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 ZTS with 98,000 miles.

This problem occurs a few times a week and lasts only 10-20 seconds but affects braking power for a few more minutes.

Upon startup the idle will fluctuate a bit until you rev it up then that problem disappears. Sometimes braking right after this will be very mushy but eventually come back. About two "gulps" of braking fluid needed to be added to get to the max fill line.

Checked the vacuum line to the brake booster and it looks good. So my question is: is the brake booster leaking a little or the idle control valve on the fritz's? It seems like though that b/c when the idle recovers, the fact that the brakes don't immediately have powers points to the booster?

I'd much rather replace the ICV as the booster looks like a PITA...[wrenchin]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If you've only had to add brake fluid once, I wouldn't say there's a problem. That's simply the pads being wore.
The mushy peddle could be related to this, possibly the pads are wore enough that the caliper piston has reached it's limit of travel. Front or rear.

Just out of curiosity, what does the idle do if you pump the brakes about 10 times?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting idea about the pad wear and caliper travel, never thought of that. Thank you for the reply. B/c of this site I've done the ignition cylinder, thermostat housing and starter on this car myself! And I'm not mechanically inclined haha.

Just went out there and pumped the brakes more than 10 times and the idle stay rock steady at 750/800rpm. Maybe I should just clean the MAF and ICV? As well as check the pad levels on the rear drums...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts