Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 ZTS Zetec, A/T, 184k miles.

Replaced timing belt Sunday. Monday drove to work, 40 miles, no problems.

Ater work, drove ten miles, stopped, went to start the car and engine hesitated, finally started up.

From there on, it died every time I stopped.

No codes. Everything is plugged in. Sprayed starter fluid around all hoses with engine running, no affect.

Car starts and runs fine when the engine isn't running at full operating temp.

I'm stumped.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
If the car ran fine before the timing belt change, recheck your work. You used the correct Zetec timing pin and cam bar, right? Might be the timing belt tensioner has slackened off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used the pin and bar. Marked the crank pulley and verified via dowel that #1 was TDC.

Wife drove it yesterday to/from work, one mile each way. Starts and runs fine.

Tensioner could have slipped, but at cool ambient temperature and low engine temp, it runs fine. I'm not ruling out timing mind you, and I'm going to recheck it this weekend just to eliminate that from the mix.

When it started stalling the engine was at full operating temp and the ambient temp was low 70's.

My hunch is temperature is a variable. I drove over fifty miles without so much as a hiccup. And now, with low ambient temp and the engine not getting fully warmed up, it runs fine.

And no codes.

·
FF Affiliate
30,611 Posts
I dont like starter fluid to find Vac leaks , A good way to check for leaks is a cheap cigar ( not cigarette ) , I draw in but dont in hail then blow into a known good Vac line into the intake 5-6 times at a good pace , do this in a very shaded area with a light works best and you will even see the throttle shaft leaking some if done properly

Do you have or know of a Ford SCT XCAL3 or 4 Flasher you can use ?

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a cigar at the ready. Good excuse to light it up.

Do not have access to either Ford SCT XCAL3 or 4 Flasher.

·
Registered
16,026 Posts
DON'T get the starter fluid near it! And NEVER use that stuff to check for external vac leaks, I personally know someone with half his face missing due to that.

Starter fluid is useful as hell but it always needs to be in a confined space in case too much is used and it explosively lights off. I also know someone who blew up an engine using it to break 6 out of 8 connecting rods. Several holes in the block...........explain THAT to the customer coming in at 2:00 to pick up the car. BTDT.

The two second rule............if the engine does not burn a two second shot of it then it has something wrong with it, a 2nd two second shot without the first igniting and you are asking for unannounced and unforeseen consequences.

OP, at 184K miles the car could simply have popped out another problem, common at that kind of age. If the problem for sure showed up after the work done then like said suspect the work.................

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the starter fluid made me pretty nervous. Used it sparingly on a cold engine.

Regardless, I suspect something got catty wampus during the timing belt task.

I'm going to replace the PCV tube and valve as it seems it is something that will need it sooner than later.

It seem to me, a layman, that it should have thrown a code. But perhaps this is one of those matters where you need to monitor the pertinent systems in real time to see what is not performing within parameters.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken there is no sensor for the exhaust cam, but I am mistaken often. Young and dumb lol

Edit: Confirmed that there isn't. Find a picture of the end of the cams, only one has the teeth for a sensor and it's the intake. So it's possible your exhaust cam could be off. Not saying that's what the problem is, but just something to look for when you recheck your work

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have you by any chance checked the little pcv elbow behind the motor it's notorious for going out. It's worth a check. Sounds like that could be the issue. Well aside from the timing.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replacing the hose tonight. Don't know the condition of it, but figure at 180k+ miles, it's not a bad thing to replace.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*Update* -
Last evening I torn down to checking the timing (Pin in the bottom end, bar in the cam shafts).

Turns out, the exhaust cam was a couple degrees retarded.

So I broke the cam cogs loose, which I didn't do before.

Set bottom and top to TDC, torqued the cam cog bolts down to 53# and put it all back together. Even pulled the MAF and clean it with MAF sensor cleaner. It didn't look bad to my naked eye before, but since I had it out and had the cleaner, it got sprayed down anyway.

Started up and ran nice and smooth. Drove it for less than a mile just to make sure everything was working. When I finished the drive and pulled into the driveway, it seemed to be running a little rough. Could be it wasn't warmed up. It also seemed to be making a clacking sound that was similar to how it sounded after I started it up after the first attempt at the timing belt.

Anyway, when I get home tonight I'll take it out for a more thorough test drive. Get everything up to full operating temp.

Two questions I have at this time:

1. With exhaust slightly retarded for about 50 miles of highway driving, would that cause the engine to die at idle or as the engine is dropping down to idle?

2. Could this or did this cause any damage?

·
Grey Friar
849 Posts
The increase in overlap would contribute to rougher idle, and dying if too retarded.

It should not have caused any damage, especially not in only 50 miles.

You may have to search for other vacuum leaks in addition to the PCV hose replacement. Other possibilities are worn plugs, a fouled injector or two. Does it accelerate decently, now? Any misses at WOT?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not detect any misses at idle, acceleration or at low RMP neighborhood driving.

What is WOT? On Throttle?

·
Grey Friar
849 Posts
Wide Open Throttle... floored.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Performed mildly aggressive acceleration. No misses.

Do you or anyone else know if the OE PCV hose has the foil covering like the Dorman unit? The PCV hose that is on this car has the foil fabric heat shield just like the Dorman unit. I don't recall seeing any video's or pictures where the OE hose has an insulator over it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you gentlemen for the assistance.

Drove it last night, got everything up to operating temp. Stopped, let it rest for five minutes in one instance and ten in another. Plenty of slow downs without stopping and stops.

No stalls or indication of stalling.

WOT did not miss a beat.

Drove it to work today. Suppose to be similar temp conditions this afternoon as last week when it stalled. But at this point I'm going to say that the slightly retarded exhaust timing was the culprit.

Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replacing the hose tonight. Don't know the condition of it, but figure at 180k+ miles, it's not a bad thing to replace.
Where did you get the hose? The elbow in mine is cracked and leaking. I've been to several places and nobody seems to stock it. I can't find it online either. I though about replacing it with bulk tubing but it looks like the end with the elbow is bigger than the other end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts