Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 svtf. Its been pretty cold lately. And this is the second time this has happend to me this week.

This past saturday I went to start my car so I could leave for work. *click* ? took my gf's car and jumped it. Started right up. Went to work and did a battery test, altenator has excessive ripple.

This morning went out to my car. *click* try it again, nothing (no click) no dash lights no anything. Took my gf's car to jump it. *click* still no dash lights coming on. It seems I have no power anywhere (didnt test or check anything just yet). Even with the jumper cables hooked up

If it was the altenator then it should have started with the jumper cables hooked up atleast. Right?
Its so cold outside, im asking you guys to give me a few ideas on what to look at first. I cant be out there all day just poking around at random shit. Id like to go out and do 1-2 test then come back inside thoughout the day.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'll need to test battery voltage, getting drained twice could have left it too low for a jump to help.

Charge that back up again & test it, MIGHT still be OK.

The "ripple" shows a diode problem, and when that happens it can drain the battery by putting a constant load on it when turned off.

You could prob. get away with driving it temporarily until fixed, IF you unhook the battery negative when parked so the battery doesn't get drained flat overnight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that the red light by the flasher button blinks until I turn the key the first time. I get 1 click out of the starter and then the light stays on. Could it be a security issue or possibly a ground?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Light goes from flashing to on to off as you normally start it, won't affect cranking.

Yes, a bad battery connection can act the same as a dead battery. You had it die once, tested & found the ripple causing it to die, then it died again (prob. from the same cause).

TEST that battery voltage & charge it up as needed. If it won't crank after charging & checking/cleaning the battery terminals, the battery may be toast from repeated full discharge. Get it tested after charging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts