Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 SVT

Any tips, suggestions, or advice on replacing a brake line?

Sprung a leak in a brake line on the drivers side, just before the rear wheel. Want to replace the whole line as it's got some rust in other parts too, especially where it attaches with clips to the frame.

It doesn't look very easy to get to the line either in the engine compartment, partly because of the fuse relay box; or under the car, partly because of the heat shield. The bolts holding the heat shield are all rusted and are probably going to break off when trying to remove them.

Planning on using a copper bendable brake line with a flaring tool I rented from Autozone. Tube size: 3/16"

Was thinking of putting the whole car on jack stands on all four corners to make it easier to move around under.
[ffrocks]

·
Registered
16,058 Posts
DO NOT USE COPPER LINE ON BRAKES!!!

It is nowhere near strong enough and will blow out. Copper additionally cracks like lightning used in unsupported lengths like brakeline commonly uses.

Worst thing you can do and will be unsafe at the best you can do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm guessing you know I meant copper-nickel. I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMZ5FV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It says it meets all SAE and ISO specifications.

Is that no good for any car, or just for Focus SVTs in particular?
Tom,
I understand what you meant. Ive used NiCopp or CuNiFer copper-nickel brake line many times. The NiCopp is also sold at most parts stores in various straight lengths pre-flared with fittings installed. If you make you own flares just use this spec for 4.75mm (3/16") DIN/ISO bubble flares as a guide:

http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common flares6.pdf

Standard fittings for 3/16" (4.75mm) bubble flare are 10 x 1.0mm but I have found that some Focus MC ports are 12 x 1.0mm so keep that in mind.

BTW None of the fittings that come with the line kit you link to (above) will fit on your Focus which uses all metric brake line fittings.

Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK to Use Old Fittings When Replacing Brake Lines?

Thanks for that info, Paul.

Another thing I was wondering about is if it's usually OK to use the old fittings, as long as they are not damaged of course?

·
Registered
16,058 Posts
Yes if they fit the line.

I meant true copper only, there are people who think you can do that.

Sorry about that.

They didn't sell that type of line here in Texas auto parts stores at all when I was in parts. Maybe they do now. Probably a northern coastal thing due to steel line rusting out, here it is good for the life of the car. I have never changed steel brake lines in over 45 years of endless cars unless it was damaged physically in some way.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Thanks for that info, Paul.

Another thing I was wondering about is if it's usually OK to use the old fittings, as long as they are not damaged of course?
Tom,
Yes, as long as they are not damaged/corroded, etc. I almost had to do that when I replaced the R (passenger) front brake line (MC-to-brake caliper hose) on my 2002 SE wagon which rotted thru and failed (in my driveway!). I used a pre flared 3/16" NiCopp line which comes with 10 x 1.0mm ISO bubble flares/fitting on both ends. However the factory MC fitting was 12mm and I was having trouble finding the correct 10mm to 12mm bubble flare adapter. I was going to cut off one end and use the original Ford 12mm fitting but then found the correct adapter locally. I was glad beacuse my cheap flare tool makes crappy bubble flares - even on relatively soft CuNi.

Good luck
Paul

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts