Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My name David. I am a automotive painter by trade, and I just started the tear down of the the engine bay. I will be working on the car in stages starting up front.

I’ve owned this car for 6 years, most of which it sat parked for various reasons. I’ve done some repairs and some mods but nothing to involved. The biggest change so far is the power steering, more on that later tho.

I will update this post later on but for now picture time
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive engine gasket
Motor vehicle Light Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Train Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper
Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer Automotive design

engine is getting rebuilt for bad rings and cylinder 3 exhaust valves are leaking. At the same time I’m shaving the bay, wire tuck, abs delete and so on. I will try to update regularly but I am a family man so bare with me. Enjoy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a shot the work I’ve done in the back so far.
Car Vehicle registration plate Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

shaved the lock cylinder, the blue oval and the wiper. Still need to finish the molding.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

And this is hiding behind the rear bumper

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve done a little more prep work in the bay and spent some time cleaning up my work space. Need to make space to tear down the block. I’m waiting on a few parts to start on the motor mounts.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Auto part

I will need to figure something out for a coolant overflow, any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,595 Posts
I’ve done a little more prep work in the bay and spent some time cleaning up my work space. Need to make space to tear down the block. I’m waiting on a few parts to start on the motor mounts.
View attachment 312568
View attachment 312569 View attachment 312570
I will need to figure something out for a coolant overflow, any suggestions are appreciated.
Love the build so far. If you run a mk2 radiator you can eliminate the overflow bottle completely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Currently

Motor vehicle Car Hood Vehicle Automotive design

block Is empty, subframe is bare and installed along with the lower mount to locate the driveline in the bay. And I started on the driver side motor mount
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive care Automotive exterior

thats it so far, covid decided to visit for Christmas so That’s awesome. My wife and I have 5 kids so it’s been really exhausting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Switched gears and started working on the wiring portion of this build. My main goal is a full wire tuck and I really want to include relocating the fuse box out of sight. The first logical step is to remove the wiring and connectors for systems I don’t want and/or have anymore. No a/c, power steering, abs or cruise control

Wood Branch Art Cloud Twig

This is the harness over the top of the transmission. The green connector is for an a/c switch.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Tints and shades

Cruise control is part of the main harness.

Leaf Branch Twig Wood Plant

Abs including wheel speed sensors are part of the main harness.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

These two connectors are in the drivers wheel well. The brown plug is completely used by (on my car) the abs, the grey plug has most of the cruise control wiring.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

For now the brown connector will be reinstalled to seal up the wiring going into the car.

Wood Branch Twig Plant Line

Removing relays, fuses and wiring from the main harness. There is one connector for the a/c clutch and one for the power steering pressure switch.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Following this - Awesome work so far. Please keep us updated!

Are you going to stick with the OEM ECU or explore anything standalone to clean up and simplify further?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I’ve explored the idea of a standalone but I live in Illinois and have to do emissions testing. Keeping the stock ecu will just simplify that whole process. Thanks for following.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,595 Posts
Hope the windshield stays in with all the vibrations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts