Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, wondering if i could get some help or guidance here.

Cold:
When car is cold and driving it feels like missing or stutter when accelerating slow or driving steady speed. When stopping its worse and acts like its going to die out and the battery light comes on then goes off when it clears up. Sometimes is does die out.

Warm:
When driving all of the above is the same but doesn't want to die when stopping and battery light doesn't come on ever.

I have new battery, plugs, wires, fuel filter, clean MAF. and its been tested for issues and codes but nothing shows up.

Only other issue is 15-18 MPG with 50/50 hwy city driving.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
pigtail?

check the wires that lead in to the coil pack (not the spark plug wires) they tend to be fragile and may be loose/damaged leading to your problems

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulled wires off coil. They aren't brittle or damaged that i can tell. Used some contact cleaner and grease but still having problem.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me., which seems to be a plague with the Focus.

Feel around the intake couplers and you may just find that the runner closest to the passenger side is torn.
Least that's my best guess right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well didn't feel anything broken or torn but managed to break a vacuum line in the process, was brittle. So i went ahead and replaced them all. Will find out tomorrow if it made a difference when engine is cold.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Mine used to do this a lot, but hasn't much lately. I was under the impression it was the uber crappy factory tune, mainly the surging or missing/stuttering as you call it

And damn, 15-18 50/50 city/highway!![ohcrap] That sucks, I have never gotten below 25 in my SVT, and I'm 50/50 highway and city/stop and go traffic (and 125k minles). Let us know what you find out man

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the new vacuum lines didn't help.

I always get stuck with problems like this nothing new. My mustang has an issue that i threw 800 bucks at and still can't figure out so i gave up.

I wish i was getting 25mpg, 97k miles myself. Guess it doesn't help that i drive it like i stole it though eh?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Did this just start? It's wierd its not throwing any codes. Mine acted similar when my 02 sensors went back but it threw codes left and right. It may just be worth the money to take it to a mechanic and have them look at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It started not long ago, I can't remember just noticing it one day so may have gotten worse over time. The check engine light was on and brought it to the shop and they repaired something else that could have been causing the miss but happened not to be, forgot what a motor of some sort. I was planning on bringing back but would rather fix myself and save some money if possible. Was just hoping to get some ideas before i break down and leave it at shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts