Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 SVT that is having issues. I turn the key and nothing. Only happens every once in a while. I can push start and it starts right up. I have replaced battery, starter, and clutch switch. It happens in all types of weather so its not that. Im [?|] trying to figure this out. I dont want to have my wife stranded again because of this. If you guys have any ideas feel free to let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Intermittent problems are a bitch. The first place to go is battery terminal lugs, battery cable crimp health, must be clean, re-clean, double-check. Then the black cable connection onto the car frame, dis-connect it and clean the mating surfaces.

After the battery and cable stuff.... hmmm? Could be lots of things... #1 guess would be the ignition switch... and then a bad connection at the starter relay K22 located inside Central Junction Box (CJB). Maybe even a defective K22. Pull out the relay and clean the socket with electrical contact cleaner or MAF cleaner (spray can). Relay socket (female) pins must be a tight fit for the relay, use something to "feel them" to check for a snug fit on each socket. There is likely a (second one) exact type of relay inside the CJB, so you could swap em' as a test. Relay's very rarely fail, but in ur shoes, I would definitely swap it or replace it.

If the problem continues... I would do something crazy = modify and install a 12V LED at the coil of K22, (test LED to be located next to your left foot while in drivers seat) so I could see the LED turn-on each time the Key is advanced to Start. If LED light does not come on = should be an ignition switch problem. Coil of K22 is grounded (controlled) by the PCM. My LED test light would be grounded to car frame ground, not to the PCM control circuit. Installing this LED test light is actually very easy; is not a science experiment, does not require cutting wires. The only tuff part is finding the correct wire, above your left leg (while sitting in drivers seat). Grey wire with a Black stripe, goes to terminal-1 of relay, see wire diagram here page 700-01-00 (-1) and page 700-07-00 (-89) for details. Starter circuit is shown on page 303-06-00 (-1 and -2)

Tap grey/blk wire with something like this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7dEVYO8fU

Or this;
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchlok-...Disconnect/dp/B003KOIBLI/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

BTW the grey/blk wire gauge is shown as 2.5 = metric = something between 12 and 14 AWG = heavier than I would have guessed.

If the LED lights-up when the engine is failing to engage the starter, you can "almost" rule out the ignition switch and move on to the next chapter of locating the problem.

Reminder: I am suggesting the LED mod ONLY because you are dealing with an intermittent problem AND only after other checks and tests are completed. The test LED is admittedly an odd and funny way to capture the criminal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts